CLOSED - Nerd Games - Fall 2023

I’m not going to skip commenting this time, it seems the time always gets away from me and I just… I have no excuses.

@megwell
Those cards are awesome! I’m jealous of people who can do “quick” things that look so good. And yay for magnets! All of your art is outstanding.

@lindyblues
Oh, I loved it the one time I managed to do Inktober, but I did always end up falling behind. I like your catch-up strategy, that would make it a lot less stressful if I did fall behind. I love the girl on the path! And your take on cards… more cards should be different shapes!

@storerboughcreations
You already know how much I love Mimsy and Whimsy!

@lovelymiss
Those necklaces are beautiful, but that scrappy tree is my favorite. So adorable! Or maybe the bears are my favorite… it’s hard to pick!

@Bunny1kenobi
AMAZING junk journal! I still need to get to work on mine, I am so behind… And your miniatures are perfect, I don’t know how you do it. That cross stitch is so cute!

@gozer
Oh, those Halloween Notebooks are amazing! I love them! And I HAVE to try to make some ghost coasters, those are so so so awesome. And your artwork is stellar, as always!

@bluebird
Those bird notecards are simply precious, I adore them.

7 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Prompt: October Battle - Prehistoric
Team: So Corn-Fused
Project Name: Knitted Dinosaur
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I started the Allosaurus a long, long time ago, and he’s finally done! Definitely from the Prehistoric era, not a lot of written records from them…
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Relic Hunter
Project Name: Cat-acus
Brief Description: Someone dropped off a very battered, terrible looking cat “Cactus” scratching post at the Animal Shelter. I took it home, replaced all the jute cord (after dying it green, that was an adventure) and added some crocheted flowers. I tightened it all up and returned it to them – probably spending more money to “fix” it than to buy a new one, but hey! Recycling! And they love it!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: The Librarians
Project Name: Crocheted Cauldron (1)
Brief Description: We had a spooky food contest for work, and I mad ethe trophies for the winners! I crocheted the cauldron and then added the plaque, just by writing on a piece of fabric with a sharpie
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Crocheted Cauldron (2)
Brief Description: (see above)
Project Photo(s): (see above)

Prompt: Blood and Treasure
Project Name: Hat Lady Lifebook Page
Brief Description: I started this artwork EONS ago, it’s a lesson from… maybe 2014 Lifebook? Some day I’ll finish all the years of that I bought… Watercolor paint and colored pencils, it’s painted and multicolored!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Uncharted
Project Name: Piggy Bank
Project Link: Crochet Piggy Bank - Fiber & Textile / Completed Projects - the Lettuce Craft Forums
Brief Description: We have a football pool at work, and I made a piggy bank for one of the prizes! It can definitely hide your coins, it’s fully functional!
Project Photo(s):
Pig Side View

Prompt: Zap 1
Project Name: Foam Fingers
Brief Description: For the football pool, there was a random wheel that also did picks. Out of the 27 people that entered, the wheel outlasted all but 5 of them (we had a two losses and you’re out policy to keep it going longer than the one and done). I changed up some “we’re #1” foam fingers for the 5 people that did better than a random picker…
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Wee Ghostie
Brief Description: We had the “you’ve been Boo-ed” bags at work, and I made this little ghost to put in the one I gave out.
Project Photo(s):
Wee Ghostie

Prompt: Advent (1) – Creep
Project Name: Set of Crocheted Pumpkins
Brief Description: These not only took several days … they were a UFO for a good … year or more? I finally hauled them out and finished them up!
Project Photo(s):
Two Pumpkins

Prompt: Advent (5) – Feed My Frankenstein
Project Name: Halloween Cake
Brief Description: Nothing went right with this cake, it was supposed to be a graveyard, but my meringue ghosts didn’t form stiff enough peaks, the cake was too thin, and I was just fed up and tired of it (it had been a long week of cooking, baking, and entertaining by this point). So “Ghosthenge through the pumpkin patch” was what I ended up with!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

I love the flap on the bottom of your piggy bank. And that cactus scratcher is awesome! I hope it’s as well loved at the shelter as it was by the kitty that had it first.

@LovelyMissy My cat, Frankenstein, 1000% percent agrees with your prompt title. He always thinks he needs to be fed. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Prompt: October battle prehistoric
Team: so corn fused
Project Name: skull crumble pies
Brief Description: I made these for our 26th anniversary today. I went with prehistoric because they look a little old & exhumed (also I never write down what I did when the stuff turns out well)
picture:

4 Likes

jumping back in, this is always fun, I promise to do my best to be more active.
Starting with October battle for now.

Prompt: October Battle - Prehistoric vs Historic Archeology - Historic
Team: So Corn-fused :corn:
Project Name: Salad Bowl Pancakes
Project Link: Salad Bowl Pancakes
Brief Description:
A recipe is written history, it tells you how a dish was made.
I found this on YouTube and had to try. It’s basically an entire salad (and other stuff) stirred into a batter and then fried in a pan. The result is yummy and filling.
I also like the fact that it is very flexible and can be adjusted to your liking.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: October Battle- Historic
Team: Team Don’t Stop Beleafing
Project Name: Old Atlas Sketchbooks
Project Link: Old Atlas Sketchbooks
Brief Description: I made another batch of sketchbooks for my students to use! I used some old atlases that someone had cleaned out of their classroom and dropped in the teachers’ room for anyone to grab before they were tossed. Atlases use words and symbols!

Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Sneakin’ in for battle time!

Prompt: October - Prehistoric
Team: So Corn-fused
Project Name: Pear ornament
Project Link:
Brief Description: I started making some Christmas ornaments for my mom. This is a pear, part of a 12 Days of Christmas set of patterns by makemeroar. Apparently there’s evidence that pears have been used as food since prehistoric times.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

I love the green you used for your pear. What yarn is that? The little pops of color are adorable.

2 Likes

It’s scheepjes Catona, lime green I think? Plus a few other colors for the embroidered spots! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Prompt: Research Project
Team: So Corn-fused
Project Name: Quaxly Pumpkin
Project Link: Quaxly Pumpkin
Brief Description: “I bedazzled a pumpkin for work” was not a phrase I ever expected to say, but here we are!
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: October Battle -Prehistoric-
Team: Gourd of the Rings
Project Name: Pua Hat
Brief Description: I made this for my oldest niece for her Halloween costume. SBC looked it up, and apparently pigs have been around longer than humans.
Project Photo(s):

They did a Moana theme this year. My oldest niece was Pua, her little sister was Moana. My oldest was the ocean and I was going to be Hei Hei, but then my youngest got sick and we had to stay home :frowning:

6 Likes

@QueenHobo The Pua hat :heart_eyes: I love it!! I’m sorry to hear your little one was sick though; hope they feel better soon!

@roler Wow; that pumpkin looks incredible! The patience and dedication… I bow to you! :heart: And the pear is so pretty!

@craftADDchick what a great way to reuse something that might end up in the trash otherwise! I love it that they’re pretty and useful, too!

@Tanath How neat; I would have never thought of putting salad inside a pancake! It almost looks like an omelet—my husband often throws a lot of veggies in his omelet, but we’ve never tried adding flour before… maybe something to try!

@ezrib Happy anniversary! That’s a wonderful milestone!

@Smeddley Wow; that dinosaur is amazing!!!

3 Likes

Prompt: Uncharted
Team: Don’t Stop Beliefing
Project Name: Map of a Lettuce Crafter’s Brain ATC
Project Link: Map of a Lettuce Crafter's Brain ATC
Brief Description: I made this for @thanate’s October theme of “Map of something that is not a place.” So it technically uses a map… a map of a lettuce crafter’s brain!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: The Dectetorists
Project Name: "Silence is Golden lettering**
Brief Description: I made this for Inktober’s Day 6 prompt: “Golden”
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: The Librarians
Project Name: Saint Zine for All Saints Day Celebration
Project Link: Zine for All Saints Day activity
Brief Description: This is a zine, which s a mini book, and I wrote lots of words in it!
Project Photo(s):

Our Lady of Aparecida Zine for All Saints Day celebration - 1

Our Lady of Aparecida Zine for All Saints Day celebration - 2

Our Lady of Aparecida Zine for All Saints Day celebration - 3

Our Lady of Aparecida Zine for All Saints Day celebration - 4

Our Lady of Aparecida Zine for All Saints Day celebration - 5

Prompt: Relic Hunter
Project Name: 80s-inspired Greeting Card
Brief Description: According to my children, I am old, and I was born in the early 80s. Therefore this 80s-inspired greeting card looks “old.” At least according to my children :joy: I made it for the handmade greeting card swap.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Dude. Tell your kids they’re just jealous that they didn’t get to live in an awesome decade. My 80s childhood (born in 1983) involved a lot of skating. My dad worked part time at a skating rink, and many weekends when I was 5-7 years old, I got to go skate while he was working. I even had my own speed skates. I love your skate artwork so much :hearts:

2 Likes

I’m the one who’s now officially jealous lol! I was born in ‘82, and when I was a kid growing up in Brazil I had one of those cheap adjustable step-on roller skates. They were the first skates I ever owned, and I loved them. But I could only skate it in my grandparents’ front yard/tiled parking spot, lol!

Then when I lived in Chicago there were still roller skating rinks in the late 90s. So for a very short time period, I got to go roller skating indoors (by this time I had in-line skates)! I did rollerblade to school pretty much every day while the weather allowed it, though!

Growing up being able to skate basically whenever you wanted would have been awesome!!! They should totally bring back roller skating rinks!

P.S. Thank you for the kind words about my art; I had so much fun painting/cutting out that skate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Skating rinks are actually trendy here in upstate South Carolina right now. My nieces love to go skating. I also had rollerblades in the 90s. I haven’t done either in so long. I’d probably fall and break every bone in my body now (I am the clumsiest person I know).

2 Likes

Ah nuts! I was about to submit my monthly prompt, but I checked the FAQs and found that monthly prompts end at midnight central time (which is 2 hours ahead of me, which means I’m a half hour late). I’m looking forward to seeing the November battle prompt and I’ll keep the time zone difference in mind for next time.
Thank you for those FAQs @storerboughtcreation, I’ve referenced them a few times and I really appreciate the abundance of information you provided!

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear they are helpful! I know there is a lot of information there, but it sounds like it’s helpful having a deeper info dive that isn’t in the welcome post. You can still post all of the October prompts, so post away for that! @Smeddley will have the new prompts up as well as the new battle later today.

This season there are a lot of crafting opportunities, so don’t forget to check out the advent prompts as well!

3 Likes

@ezrib
Those crumble pies look delicious!

@tanath
Those pancakes look… interesting! I might have to give them a try. I love old recipes.

@craftaddchick
Nice reuse of atlases!

@roler
That pear is so pretty! And that bedazzled pumpkin is hilarious and really well done.

@queenhobo
That pig hat is adorable!

@lindyblues
Haha, that brain map is hilarious! So is the Silence is Golden page… rare indeed!

New prompts will be up by the time anyone probably reads this, I’m going to edit that post now!

6 Likes