Nerd Games - Summer 2024

Prompt: August - Pathfinder
Team: Board Games
Project Name: Curious Little Snail
Project Link: Curious Snail
Brief Description: 4x3" watercolor of a snail and mushrooms - the epitomy of nature.
Project Photos:

Craftlympics Performance
DECLARED MEDAL CATEGORY: Paint

CRAFTING TIME: 2.5

5 Likes

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Kawaii Halloween Banner
Project Link: Kawaii Halloween Banner
Brief Description: 4’ paper cut Halloween banner with cute icons. I fell in love with the little skull and it was downhill from there :joy:.
Project Photos:

5 Likes

Prompt: August - Monopoly
Team: Card Game
Project Name: Glowing Fireflies
Project Link: Glowing Fireflies Artwork
Brief Description: This firefly artwork is Square, and glows in the dark!
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: August Battle - Board Games
Team: Video Games
Project Name: Light Fixture
Project Link:
Brief Description: I redid my dining room as a procrastination tactic. This new light fixture (that I had to wire inside and into the ceiling - which was harrowing because it’s an old house with nonsense electrics), will help us have adequate lighting to play board games.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Dungeons and Dragons
Project Name: Dining room zhuzh
Project Link:
Brief Description: I also changed out all the knobs (14 in total), added a new rug, and curtains. The rug is a deeper emerald green than it shows in the picture.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Pathfinder
Project Name: Dining room wallpaper
Project Link:
Brief Description: And I put up this cute wallpaper. It was the impetus for the entire room redesign. It’s nature-themed. It was also close to being a Big Time. Why did such a small wall take so long?!!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Monopoly
Project Name: Scarecrow Mask
Project Link:
Brief Description: My partner is making a Scarecrow doll from The Dark Knight trilogy. A mask was required, so I pulled out a little burlap bag and embroidery thread and tried to make one that at least slightly resembled the on-screen mask. The doll will be displayed in the house, and also, I hate the game Monopoly. My favorite square is Jail, because the more time I spend there, the less I have to play. Scarecrow also ends up in a kind of jail (Arkham Asylum) in the series, lol. Oh, I also made/twisted the rope out of some waxed thread.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Candyland
Project Name: Birthday cake
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this birthday cake. I just did a half cake since there were only a few of us.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Mousetrap
Project Name: Bday pinata
Project Link:
Brief Description: I also made this little pinata to hold some extra birthday treats. It had multiple steps (constructing the base, filling it, closing it, fringing the tissue paper, and gluing it all down).

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Arty house
Project Link:
Brief Description: I found a random house-shaped cardstock paper I had cut and decided to use my paint pens to do some art. The Ah bubble is from a book and collaged on.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Card pack
Project Link:
Brief Description: I put together a card for my letter writing group. I liked the art from the house, so painted the folio in a similar style.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Card folio
Project Link:
Brief Description: And I did another one to have ready in my stash. It was really fun to use my paint pens. I actually wore out a few, so had an excuse to get some new colors. :smiley:

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Project Name: Van Gogh Cat
Project Link:
Brief Description: Acrylic painting of an orange tabby in Van Gogh’s art style, based on a class I attended. (Reference pic we were painting from was AI generated)
Project Photos:

Craftlympics Performance

CRAFTING TIME: 8 hours

4 Likes

I recently redid an AI image in my style. I am not done yet, and it’s not as stunning as yours, but I will share it when I am done. That cat is gorgeous!

4 Likes

Prompt: August – Board Games
Team: Card Games
Project Name: Scribble Skull Coaster “Hello”
Project Link: Scribble Skull Fabric Coasters
Brief Description: When you are playing board games, you need a coaster for your drink.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August – D&D
Project Name: Scribble Skull Coaster “Goodbye”
Project Link: Scribble Skull Fabric Coasters
Brief Description: These have several layers of fabric and lots of thread. It was my first time using my darning foot on my machine.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Thanks! I want to add some more paint to the sky and stars so we’ll see if I improve or ruin the thing. Can’t. Stop. Fussing. Seriously, I may have a problem. But Van Gogh was all about layers of paint and loose expression so really I’m just embracing his style, right? :rofl:

If I don’t ruin the painting I’ll make a post for it. I find AI handy for blocking, poses, and a rough reference on what I do and don’t want to do. It can give me some great color scheme ideas as well.

4 Likes

I had to update my post for the Van Gogh cat as I spent another 2 hours painting on it. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Prompt: August Battle- board games
Project Name: anniversary card
Project Link: What a ride anniversary card
Brief Description: The classic car could be compared to the car token In Monopoly. Sort of. I’m going with it.

Craftlympics Performance

DECLARED MEDAL CATEGORY: paper

CRAFTING TIME: 2.5 hours

Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Research Project #1
Project Name: mini shadowboxes
Project Link: Mini shadowboxes
Brief Description: I made 2 of these for the grab bag swap, and the rest in anticipation of the STS. Follow link for a few in progress shots.

Craftlympics Performance

DECLARED MEDAL CATEGORY: paper

CRAFTING TIME: 28 hours

Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: August Battle- Board Games
Team: Team Card Games
Project Name: Shades of Green Mini Pyramid Bag (AKA “A Dime Bag”)
Project Link: coming soon…
Brief Description: My family has always played Michigan Rummy at family gatherings (holidays, summer parties, etc.) and years ago my aunt and uncle made a large, wood board, with real cards to mark each spot on the board. It’s heavily coated with polyurethane and is hinged so it can fold in half for storage. As a kid, we played using pennies, but now, at my mom’s, we play with dimes. Everyone was showing up with little ziplock baggies full of coins, so several Christmases ago I started making pyramid bags for people, which we have dubbed Dime Bags. This one might be a little small, but it should hold $10-15 in dimes!

Project Photo(s):

DECLARED MEDAL CATEGORY: Fabric

CRAFTING TIME: 0.75 hours (0.75 hours for season)

4 Likes

I’m soo behind posting…and not going to catch up now, but here are a couple.

Prompt: Monopoly (August)
Project Name: Bleached shirts
Project Link: Adventures in Bleach Dyeing
Brief Description: Shirts are related to the iron token. Not that I’ll ever actually use my iron on them.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap 1
Project Name: Another quickie notecard
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I needed a card, so I stuck a bit of gelli print on a blank.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Multiplayer (September Battle)
Project Name: 6x9 envelopes
Project Link: 6x9 Calendar Page Envelopes
Brief Description: I made these at a local creative happy hour where multiple people were crafting.
Project Photo(s):

Edited to add :woman_facepalming:t2: :
Craftlympics Performance

DECLARED MEDAL CATEGORY: Paper!

CRAFTING TIME: 1.5 hr (17 total for season)

3 Likes

Prompt: September - Fluxx
Project Name: Reflective Florals
Project Link: Reflective Florals
Brief Description: A pair of 5x7" watercolor paintings. The blue one changed a lot as I went along and both have mettalic accents.
Project Photos:

Craftlympics Performance

CRAFTING TIME: 2

3 Likes

Prompt: Exploding Kittens (September)
Project Name: More affirmations for abandoning
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: My last batch is running low, so I made a new batch of backgrounds and a few finished cards.
Project Photo(s):

Craftlympics Performance

CRAFTING TIME: 1 hr (18 total for season)

4 Likes

Prompt: Pathfinder (August)
Project Name: Hugs Cat ATC
Project Link: Gemma Correll Cats Mini Pocket Letter
Brief Description: Made as part of a mini pocket letter for the recent swap. The project took me on a journey…to Goodwill for something with cat images.
Project Photo(s): Lefthand card in this photo

Prompt: Candyland (August)
Project Name: Costume Cat ATC
Brief Description: This card from the mpl has stripes.
Project Photo(s): Righthand card in photo above

Prompt: Party/Rhythm Game (July)
Project Name: Party Cat ATC
Brief Description: This cat from the mpl is decked out for a party and also has some polka dots on its bowtie.
Project Photo(s): Middle card in photo above

Craftlympics Performance

CRAFTING TIME: 2 hr cumulatively for all three cards (20 total for season)

4 Likes

Prompt: September- Fluxx
Team: Team Card Games
Project Name: Late Summer Canning 2024
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: My canning buddy and I decided we needed a canning session for ourselves, instead of for the purposes of gift giving. So, we made our favorites- Sweet Corn Salsa, Dilly Beans, Pickled Beets with Cumin & Cloves. We changed things up by doubling two of the recipes, plus the rings and lids are silver in color.

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

I love beets, and I am intrigued by the cumin and clove beets you’ve canned. :drooling_face:

4 Likes

I call them “the gateway beets” because they’re the beets that finally got me to like beets! The recipe is from the book Put ‘Em Up! by Sherri Brooks Vinton.

4 Likes