CLOSED: Nerd Games - Fall 2022

Those cookies and that pasta look tasty :drooling_face:

Thanks for the kind comments about the bows, everyone! I ended up submitting it to a group in in to be tested, and it will be released soon. It will be a free download, and as soon as it is posted I’ll create its own post here on LC. In the meantime, if anyone wants the pattern, message me and I’ll send it to you.

4 Likes

Okay, since I am still in 100% procrastination mode, I decided to finally read through the posts and comment. I think I matched each comment to each person, but forgive me if I have a mix-up (I’m still recovering from a rather crazy week). But, all of your food posts have made me hungry, so I might have to eat dinner before I actually buckle down and get some school work finished!

@gozer- I love all of the pockets and compartments in that wallet. I’ll bet it’s very functional, even if it’s a bit wonky :slight_smile: And, that ghost notebook is adorable! I tend to lean towards the cute side of Halloween, instead of the creepy, so it’s right up my alley. Those casserole carriers are a great gift idea (especially when combined with an etched casserole dish…hmmmm…now you’ve got me thinking…) Your little painted coffins are amazing- your painting skills are fantastic- love the dimension byou addeed to the skeleton with the shading. And, your cookie decorating skills are pretty darn good for a first time, so it looks like your painting skills came in handy. I’ve been wanting to try decorating cookies like these, but it looks so intimidating- any tips you can share? Your ghost pretzels are so fun! I don’t think I have the patience to dip all of those pretzels, however. I didn’t realize you could buy candy eyeballs like that, but I’m sure it made things much easier!

@megwell- Your little bookish ghost is just adorable- the plaid pattern is a nice touch, too! I like your gift tags- did you use cardboard for them? I always appreciate a good upcycling project! Are those chocolate peanut butter cookies the no bake drop cookies? We used to make them as a kid, and it is accurate to say that I can actually taste that photo! And, that pasta looks delicious- sometimes it’s nice to have pasta that isn’t drowning in a sauce!

@imera- Really like your little coffin hand pies- I wish I was better at making pie crust because making them in fun shapes is such a great idea! And, that lamb stew looks so hearty and delcious. Tis the season for stews, so I may have ot give it a try- I’ve never cooked a dish with lamb before. I like how you made good use of an old hat to create something that still worked to keep your step son warm. Your monster stud earrings gave me a chuckle- you used my favorite monster (Frankenstein) and the one that I think is the scariest (Dracula… vampires terrify me!). I could never paint something that tiny with those details, so I’m impressed! I like your Halloween window decorations- I thought you had painted them, at first, but when I popped over to your post to see the kind of paint you used, I was happy to see that they were paper, since that’s much more in my skill set :slight_smile: And, your ghost earrings are adorable. Somewhere, I might still have glow-in-the-dark polymer clay, so I might have to make some ghost jewelry for next year!

@storerboughtcreation- That bat bowtie is so clever! I’d totally wear that to school one day. It would also be super cute with a little face on it (but I’m guessing Mr. SBC wouldn’t go for that :slight_smile: ). Your lolly frog is also very cute (I’m partial to all frog crafts, of course). I like the addition of the little pink spots on the cheeks! And, oh my goodness! Your mosaic scarves are gorgeous! I’m partial to the floral reflection pattern, but they’re both stunners. I really like the color of the blue scarf, and it’s a shame that it wasn’t working out for you, but it was smart of you to stop, frog, and save the yarn for another project. I like the green scarf- the stitch pattern is really neat looking, and green is my favorite color. How long does it take you to stitch up a scarf, usually? What a clever idea to crochet a gift bow, but I think I’m too impatient for that. Although, I’m considering decorating my Christmas tree (if I ever actually put one up) with crocheted ornaments, and these could be a fun addition!

@bunny1kenobi- Your skelly hands towel is so well done- you always get such nice crisp images, and I love the graphic. And, another cute little ghost! I like that you made yours into a little hanging ornament. Your googly eye earrings are super fun- google eyes just make everything fun, don’t they? I like your tea bag style bookmark- I’m not a big fan of bulky bookmarks, so I like how the bulky parts can extend beyond the edges of the book. And, I like watching your family ATC collection grow! I really like your skeleheart tee- another cool image, too! Your colorful charm bracelet is so fun- those mottled beads are gorgeous, and I’m impressed with your wire wrapping on the bead charms (it’s a skill I have yet to master). Your bat cross stitch is creepy, but the flowers cut down the creep factor, and I would absolutely hang this up as part of my Halloween decor. I like how that bat is done with the negative space- nicely done! Your lashes pin is fantastic- I can imagine how long it took to get the cord wrapped neatly. Your patience is admirable! And, in spite of the creep factor, I really like your death carousel. It’s perfectly spooky!

@LovelyMiss- Your copic skills are great! I love the tree, the moth, and the ship the most, but they’re all fantastic. This is another thing that I find intimidating so I really should just bust out my set of alcohol markers and start playing around with them. Do you have any recommended tutorials?

@Tanath- What fun Halloween foods! How long did it take to wrap thos hot dogs? And the rice & avocado balls sound yummy!

@Smeddley- Your cemetary cake is super creepy with those mice crawling all over it! It would freak me out to see it, at first, until I realized the mice were fake :smiley:

@roler- I didn’t think your Rice Krispy treats looked like ground beef until I read your post, and now I can’t unsee it! But, I bety they’re still delicious. Great job on your Pokémon costume- I’ll bet your office party was so fun! Your amigurumi snail is so fun! It doesn’t look very little, though- how big is it? And, your crochet skills have gotten so good, so fast! I’m impressed!

4 Likes

Some of these are a bit of a stretch, but I’ve explained my crazy thought process. This is one of my favorite things about the Games. I love seeing how far some of the prompts can be stretched and still be made to work. :hearts:

Prompt: October - Wool of Bat
Team: Don’t Stop Beleafing
Project Name: Green bow
Project Link: Reusable crocheted gift bows
Brief Description: I’m stretching this one a little… holly leaves are green, and so is this bow! So there! :rofl:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: advent - Undone
Project Name: another green bow
Brief Description: Weezer had a green album, and this bow is green!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: advent - This is Halloween
Project Name: Red Bow
Brief Description: I didn’t know there were words to this song. I know the tune from Kingdom Hearts, but I haven’t watched this movie all the way through. I tried, but too many bugs. But I watched a youtube video of the song, and there’s a monster with red eyes that is sung about… so there’s my stretch :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Groups of Nine
Project Name: Red Bow
Brief Description: This is the ninth bow I made, so I think it fits. :laughing:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

They were just some kraft tags from my stash that I jazzed up with Posca and gel pen.

The cookies are a riff on my usual oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I haven’t had no-bakes in ages, so you may see some show up in my prompts yet :laughing:.

2 Likes

I never think to make tags, but I have all of the supplies, so I really should, at some point. And, I’ll keep my eyes open for the no-bakes! Now, I’m wondering if I have the recipe from my childhood. I’ll have to look :slight_smile:

1 Like

Prompt: November Battle - Sudoku
Team: So Corn-fused
Project Name: Squishy Penguin Ami
Project Link: Squishy Penguin Ami
Brief Description: Wonky li’l penguin. I personally much prefer crosswords, but I chose Sudoku for this project because it definitely involves more numbers than words: counting stitches for the shape and the belly jacquard, etc.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Worst thing about getting the flu is that I missed one advent challenge D: But now I wonder, is there a deadline to the challenge? I don’t remember seeing it being mentioned

But now I’m back and there are even MORE BOWS!!! They are adorable, love the one on the headband, so many uses! Great work @storerboughtcreation

And those dishes sound yummy @megwell

@roler that penguin is just adorable!! Great work! Personally I prefer sudoku because it’s logical thinking, which I do better than remembering all the different meanings to words XD But I do find the joy of crosswords the times I pick one that’s not advanced :stuck_out_tongue: Great job with the stuffie, LOVE the adorable bow tie

4 Likes

There are no deadlines on any prompts (well, aside from the final day of the season :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) EXCEPT for the monthly battles. You can’t craft for the October battle anymore, but you can craft the November battle still.

1 Like

The battles I do know about the deadline, but for some reason I imagined there was week long challenges, the advent one XDwell, then I’m not late,that’s good <3

3 Likes

@storerboughtcreation Audrey looks ADORABLE! The bow is cute, too!

@roler the little Penguin looks super soft. So cute!!

2 Likes

Prompt: research project
Team: don’t stop beleafing
Project Name: koi pond mosaic
Project Link:
Brief Description: the pattern designer gave me permission to share here. The pattern won’t be released for a few months. I was the first to test it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This blanket was so much fun to make, and it could qualify for five research projects with the amount of time it took. The border itself took over 20 hours. The border is not part of her pattern. It’s from a different designer, but it went perfectly with the koi. It now looks like a pond to me. :heart::heart::heart:
Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

Wow, that is truly a beauty!!

1 Like

Oh my, that os AMAZING, the skills it takes to make something like that. Amazing work

1 Like

Stunning! Just the border alone sold me…but yes, it does make it seem like it is a pond (a fancy one!)…

2 Likes

Prompt: November Battle- Crossword Puzzle
Project Name: Zucchini Pie and Quiché
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: I picked Crossword Puzzle because quiche and zucchini are often crossword puzzle words. But, one quiche is cheddar, broccoli & bacon, while the other is mushroom, onion, & Swiss. The zucchini pie recipe is officially known as ‘Mystery Custard Pie’ and it’s a sweet pie. I couldn’t find my pie shields, but the extra crispy crust bits will break off when I cut it, so it’s all good! Side note: The onions and cognac are for a pate recipe.

Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Yummm!!

Prompt: November Battle: Words
Team: Don’t Stop Be-leafing
Project Name: The Fringe ATC
Project Link: The Fringe - a family ATC
Brief Description: This ATC does have words on it!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October- Toe of Frog
Project Name: Bubble Play ATC
Project Link: Bubble Play- a family ATC
Brief Description: This ATC has a lot of green on it.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Groups of Nine
Project Name: String in Your Ear ATC
Project Link: String in your ear- TWIN family ATCs!
Brief Description: This ATC has 9 colors in it: gray, light blue, black, navy, brown, red, yellow, peach, and pink.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Homonyms
Project Name: Socks for Kenz
Project Link: Slipper sock frenzy!
Brief Description: This pair of socks has two distinct colors: gray and yellow.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November -Columns and Rows
Project Name: Christmas surprise
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: Made for 12 Days of Christmas swap. My partner has received but not yet opened so I will blur this one. It’s mainly white.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Eraser
Project Name: Socks for Mom
Brief Description: These socks have pink on them.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November -Final Square
Project Name: Swing baskets
Project Link:
Brief Description: Not a whole lot of pattern involved here (two pieces!) but I own it!! :laughing:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #1
Project Name: Skeleton Magnetic notepad
Project Link:
Brief Description: Very quick project from the Teeny Halloweenie swap.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #3
Project Name: Quetzalcoatlus ATC
Project Link: Quetzalcoatlus- a family ATC
Brief Description: Made for my son for his upcoming bday.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #4
Project Name: cross stitch Christmas bag
Project Link: Cross stitch Santa’s Sack
Brief Description: Made for the Santa’s Sack swap.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #5
Project Name: mini diorama
Project Link: Little itty bitty diorama
Brief Description: Made for Santa’s sack swap - this should actually be a Big Time, but I’m out of space for those! LOL!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #1 - Superstition
Project Name: miniature paintbox
Project Link: Santa’s Sack minis!
Brief Description: this uses many types of supplies: wood, fabric, paint, toothpick, paintbrush bristles, foil tape, a charm (the clasp), foam core, paper, a knife, a ruler, sandpaper, scissors, and lots and lots of glue!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #2 – Hungry Like the Wolf
Project Name: House Chef ATC
Project Link: House Chef- a family ATC
Brief Description: When you’re hungry, you cook!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #3 - Zombie
Project Name: Post Apocalyptic Life Skills ATC
Project Link: Post-Apocalyptic Life Skills- a family ATC
Brief Description: a literal translation of this prompt!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #4 - Monster Mash
Project Name: Halloween Stickers and cupcake picks
Project Link:
Brief Description: These feature plenty of monster-iffic details!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #5 - This is Halloween
Project Name: Mini Junk Journal
Project Link: Mini junk journal
Brief Description: This journal features beads!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #6 - Undone (The Sweater Song)
Project Name: socks for Juju
Brief Description: These are knit, like a sweater.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #7 - Three Little Birds
Project Name: I Can’t Fly ATC
Project Link: I Can’t Fly- a family ATC
Brief Description: Not only do most birds fly, but we spent quite a bit of time convincing our little one that “every little thing is gonna be alright!” (See the link for the story…!)
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

I just finished catching up on tracking. Let me know if I’ve missed anything. I haven’t been feeling well lately and so I get easily distracted.

@roler - Your penguin looks so soft and squishy! The recipient will love it!

@craftADDchick - Quiche is good. I’ve only had it with ham, broccoli, and swiss, and it’s yummy!

@Bunny1kenobi - Your ATCs have been so fun to follow. The Christmas Surprise is awesome! And your socks look so comfy.

2 Likes

Ack, behind again!
@roler–That penguin is another cute addition to your menagerie. It looks like the yarn would be…slippy? ( :arrow_left: not a fiber crafter) and hard to work with; I can’t imagine.
@storerboughtcreation–That might be my favorite of your mosaics. It’s certainly up there.
@craftADDchick–I personally don’t mind extra crispy crust bits, so :+1:t2:. “Mystery Custard Pie” made me laugh because we have a (chicken-free) quichey/casserole recipe called “Chicken Egg Pie.” Who knows?
@Bunny1kenobi–I’m pretty sure I would lose my mind, in addition to all the project pieces, trying to do miniatures, so I admire those who can make them. And it would take me approximately 17 years to draw that many ATCs, so your prolific output is really amazing.

Prompt: Zombie (Advent)
Team: Gourd of the Rings
Project Name: Nopes ATC
Project Link: Pick-3 ATCs
Brief Description: This card gave some leftover supplies (card base, paint) a new life.
Project Photo(s):
20221121_142626

Prompt: Homonyms (November)
Project Name: Always in Season ATC
Project Link: Pick-3 ATCs
Brief Description: It has at least two colors.
Project Photo(s):
20221121_142704
Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Quick notecards
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: Just stickers and some (quite) scribbly gel pen lines on kraft card blanks.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

And the end of the month dash again, I must stop doing this. I promise to do better in December.
For now, the battle.

Prompt: November Battle - Sudoku
Team: So Corn-fused
Project Name: Blue butterfly necklace
Project Link:
Brief Description:
Beading requires numbers and lining things up in specific ways, a sort of a numbers game, like Sudoku is. I’m working on an idea for a workshop for a friend, and this was one of the test runs.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes