CLOSED - Nerd Games - Summer 2023

Way to go, gozer! Amazing crafting!

1 Like

@roler I love the pages you’re created here. It’s so fun to look back at physical photographs, and having little mementos like the receipt is such a lovely reminder of good memories. Japan looks like so much fun! I’d love to visit some day.

You have beautiful handwriting! I love all your pages, but I think my favourite is #12. I really like the placement of the book sticker, the cute character, and the way the photo of the rectangular plate is placed on the page.

@Bunny1kenobi I laughed so hard at the LARD of the flies ATCs when I first saw them. I love the creativity, humour, and of course, the art itself.

@LovelyMiss That apple crumble looks soooo good! I may just have found a way to use up the copious amounts of apples we picked, that no one seems to want to eat…

I love your felt foods. I bought some sheets of felt years and years ago to make play food for my kids… I did make some, but I keep meaning to use up the rest and never get around to it. Your post just reminded me to maybe try to do this again before year’s end… we shall see! I love the kawaii foods; they are so cute :heart:

Those cards :heart_eyes: Your recipients will be over the moon with their beauty and the goodies, too :heart:

That checkout person needs some more cute, fun, kid-like joy in their life, I think :blush: The unicorn is adorable.

@gozer I love the cat pouches. The blue stars fabric is my favourite. How did the craft show go?

I love the super cute magnets. The blue/gray bat is my favourite :heart: :bat:

@bluebird The pop culture mash-up ATCs are so neat, and I loved receiving the whale and friend :heart:. It makes me smile every time I look at it :blush: Congrats on your bingo!

@megwell, I love the idea of the age markers for your plant! And the masterboards are gorgeous, too!

@Bunny1kenobi the little dragons :heart_eyes: I love them!! I like the Halloween pun ones as well; they made me chuckle.

@gozer I love the miniature books inside the ornaments. I think it would be neat to use these as a “book log” and add miniature versions of books you’ve read throughout the year in them!

2 Likes

I find I always get more zuchinni than I know what to do with, lol! And I’m not a big baker, so what most people make with zuchinni (e.g. zuchinni bread, etc) doens’t usually suit me. This is my compromise :blush:

I am doing that! I add it each time I finish one, but I am a super slow reader and I think my ornament will end up being “A Decade of Reading” for me before it’s full enough. :books:

1 Like

Thank you! I forgot to note that the 1 month background is from a masterboard by @photojenn, so full credit to her on that one.

2 Likes

Prompt: Research Project
Team: Nancy Drew
Project Name: Walter
Project Link: Walter and his flamingo floaty
Brief Description: I started making Walter as another monster, but I ran out of the fuzzy green yarn. So I decided he needed swim trunks. Then I decided he needed some flippers and a pool floaty. Between working on the frog, searching for patterns to alter to make my floaty, and creating the flippers through trial and error, this took me about 22 hours to finish. I absolutely love him so much
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Black Cat 1
Project Link: Two black cats
Brief Description: I kept seeing an ad pop up on Facebook for a sweater with pumpkins and cats on it. It inspired me to make these black cats. I have more black furry yarn, so I will be making more
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Black Cat 2
Project Link: Two black cats
Brief Description: I altered the pattern a little for this second one. I think I’m happy with it, though I wish I’d made the eyes smaller when I felted them on.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Owl Monster - Pink
Project Link:
Brief Description: Another monster
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Owl monster - Blue
Project Link:
Brief Description: Another monster
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: custom monster
Project Link:
Brief Description: Another monster, this one made for Bunny1kenobi’s granddaughter
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

I have four bingos. I won’t be getting a blackout card this time around, but I am happy that I was able to craft so much this season. I feel like I haven’t been posting nearly as much as I normally do this last year or so.

5 Likes

Another BINGO! Yay, @storerboughtcreation! Epic crafting!

2 Likes

She loves this! She calls it her Monster Baby! So adorable!

3 Likes

And @gozer I’m in love with those Halloween magnets! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

The entry period for the Raffle Shop will be open until Monday, October 2!

Spend the points you’ve earned this season to “buy” raffle entries! There are 24 prizes up for grabs, so make sure to play - there’s a high chance you’ll win something!

Entry form is at the bottom of the post, under the gallery of prizes.

2 Likes

Team: Team Columbo
Project Name: Butterfly card
Project Link:
Brief Description: My letter writing group got a particularly touching request and I decided to make a card. Oooh boy, I did not know what I was getting myself into! It’s butterfly themed (so hidden below the summary for bug reasons :slight_smile: ). It’s a pop up card. It took me an entire day, half of which was just trying to get the pop up mechanism to work and the butterflies to point in the right direction on the strings. If I had more Big Times available, this would definitely be one, lol!

Project Photo(s):

Summary

Project Name: Handmade Cards
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these for the Homemade Greeting Card Swap. I did a graffiti background with paint pens, cut out fabric shapes and collaged them on, and then stitched around the edges. I’m going to make a post about them, but not everyone has received yet, so hidden for now!

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Chunky House - Retro Cat
Project Link: Halloween Chunky House - Retro Cat
Brief Description: I made this for the Chunky House Halloween Edition Swap! More info in the link.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Chunky House - Cleaning Ghosts
Project Link: Halloween Chunky House - Retro Cat
Brief Description: I made this for the Chunky House Halloween Edition Swap! More info in the link.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Taco Seasoning
Project Link:
Brief Description: I like to have taco seasoning on hand, so I always mixed up a larger batch anytime I run out. I just measure right into a ziploc, mix it in that, and put it in the spice drawer for next time.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Leftovers Chili
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made chili again - this time was more out of necessity than craving, lol. I had some leftover cooked meat, chopped peppers and onions, and some open tomato paste from another meal that needed to get used ASAP (which is why this was a zap this time). Still tasty!

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Garlic bread
Project Link:
Brief Description: We got an unexpected baguette from a friend and decided to make some garlic bread. I just grated a few cloves of garlic, toasted it for a minute in some olive oil, added butter until it was all melted, and then brushed it on. I baked it for about 8-10 minutes. I didn’t know what I was doing but it turned out delicious. :joy:

Project Photo(s):

fresh garlic bread - Copy

3 Likes

Even though I made this, I also found it very motivating :joy:. My last (and hardest) thing was to share a post on social media, which I just did. So, BINGO!

3 Likes

MAKE SURE TO SEND IN YOUR BINGO AND PIN EVENT CLAIM FORMS BY THE END OF THE DAY TODAY! Don’t miss out on claiming your prizes if you put in all the work to do them!

3 Likes

Wow! Great job for getting all the bingo spots!! :tada:

3 Likes

Apologies in advance as I intermittently spam this thread today catching up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.
Prompt: Zap 5
Team: Miss Marple
Project Name: Bright friendship bracelet
Project Link: Old-School Friendship Bracelets
Brief Description: This worked up pretty quick (~1 episode of QI), so it’s probably a zap.
Project Photo(s): Bottom bracelet in this photo

Prompt: Decoder Ring (September)
Project Name: Paler friendship bracelet
Project Link: Old-School Friendship Bracelets
Brief Description: This wearable did take >30 minutes because it’s a bit longer and also I spent a while picking out errant knots :woman_facepalming:t2:.
Project Photo(s): Top bracelet in previous photo.

Prompt: Subliminal Messaging (September)
Project Name: Antiques Road Trip ATC
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: The road covers up the base layer.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Disappearing Ink (September)
Project Name: Buffett tribute ATC
Brief Description: I was raised Parrothead, so naturally I had to commemorate the death of Jimmy Buffett. This “A Pirate Looks at Forty” card has translucent blue elements.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Acrostic (September)
Project Name: Packaging masterboard
Brief Description: This masterboard has words, is made of paper, and can be used in pieces. BINGO! (Wait, wrong thing…)
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Glass Cleaner (August)
Project Name: Flowers ATC
Brief Description: The stenciled layer is “transparent” in that you can see the background through it.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

So I’m awful to pop in here just to try to get that one pin for posting my 10 favorite projects of all time, which is way harder than I thought it would be to pick! But let’s start out with the one I just finished, the thing that has really kept me from doing much of anything else, as I’ve focused all my crafting time on this behemoth!

(1) Sophie’s Universe (2018-2023)

(2-3) Then there’s the other (two) afghans I’ve ever completed, Tetris 1 and Tetris 2:

tetris afghan - finished!

(4) Pi skirt/apron

93-Pi Skirt

(5) Rainbow skirts

skirts

(6) Pumpkin Cake

(7) Bob, the original blood drop - not because he’s that complicated or hard, but it’s all about what he led to with all the other blood drop designs! He started it all.

Bob the Blood Drop

(8) My goal books through the years!

(9) A fairy house I made once…

(10) The wallets I’ve made myself - it’s something I use every day! I had to make a second one after the first wore out!

Wallet

6 Likes

Prompt: July- Impressionism
Project Name: Crochet Club Zipper Pouches (#2)
Project Link: Crochet Club Zipper Pouches

Brief Description: Here’s another set of zipper pouches for one of my crochet club members! It has a pastel, purple, swirl pattern on the fabric.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September- Secret Compartment
Project Name: Crochet Club Zipper Pouches #3
Project Link: Crochet Club Zipper Pouches
Brief Description: Here’s another purple variation of the crochet club zipper pouches. I had two students choose purple as their favorite color. The main pouch holds hooks and a pair of scissors, plus the smaller pouch, which holds a tape measure, yarn needle, and a dozen stitch markers.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- Glass Cleaner
Project Name: Test Version of an Etched Glass Mug
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: The STEM teacher at school decided to let each 8th grader (she has about 300 total, but around 70 right now) make an etched glass mug to celebrate their last year of middle school. She had the basic design down, but I needed to recreate it in the Silhouette to cut out about 80 copies in vinyl to be used as stencils on the glasses. We each made a test sample (mine was gifted to the principal), which was good, because I had to tweak the design to make it fit better on the mug, and make it easier to tape around (to protect the rest of the glass from the etching cream).

Project Photo(s): It’s hard to photograph! But it says Sky View 2024 around the hawk image (we didn’t have access to our exact logo, but hopefully the kids won’t care).

Prompt: September- Decoder Ring
Project Name: Almost Zero Waste Knitted Hat
Project Link: Almost Zero Waste Knitted Hat with Pom Poms
Brief Description: I had some leftover yarn after turning this knitted cowl into a hat, so I decided to use it up to make pom poms!

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Sophie’s Universe
Project Link: Sophie's Universe

Brief Description: A giant afghan 6+ years in the making…

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: September - Secret compartment
Team: Sherlock
Project Name: wild thing
Brief Description: This was made for the chunky house swap. The clay I had for this project happened to be yellow. Blurred bc my partner hasn’t received yet.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - decoder ring
Project Name: rose earrings
Brief Description: These will likely end up in my STS. They are round, wearable, metal, and have silver.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Acrostic
Project Name: tattoo ATC
Project Link: Tattoos- a family ATC
Brief Description: I made this paper ATC for my daughter.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes