CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2021

Prompt: Free Range # 1
Team: Running With Scissors
Project: Operation Use Up Yarn - Woven Chunky Cowl
Brief Description: This is part of my Operation Use Up Yarn. I used my one skein of white yarn and a smaller ball of the contrasting color to make this. (Pattern for the cowl in the project link.)
Project Photo:

6 Likes

Prompt: February: Geothermal
Project Name: Operation Use Up Yarn -- C2C Lined Zipper Pouch
Brief Description: There is a pink liner sewn into the C2C zipper pouch. @storerboughtcreation I would like to offer this as my Raffle prize offering. It’s really big measuring about 13" long by 7" high. :yarn:
Project Photo:

6 Likes

**Prompt: January Sastrugi
**Team: Knotty by Nature
**Project Name: Love Lotto Tickets
**Project Link: Love Lottery & Date Night Lotto Cards
**Brief Description: For vday I made my hubby some scratch off Lotto tickets with parallel lines of scratch circles.
**Project Photo(s):

**Prompt: February battle- Reduce
**Team: Knotty by Nature
**Project Name: Date Lottery tickets
**Project Link: Love Lottery & Date Night Lotto Cards
**Brief Description: My son & his girlfriend have been bummed about their lack of fun & cheap date ideas especially with Covid restrictions. So I came up with some date ideas for them for home & away that are free & non consumer things.
**Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: February: Hydro
Project Name: Operation Use Up Yarn -- Maroon Scarf and Hat Set
Brief Description: Scarves can be found all around the world, some people consider them a necessary winter accessory, and they require water to be washed!
Project Photo:

6 Likes

Prompt Palace has been updated with a special Red Alert! Sound the klaxons! Flashing light warning!

SPECIAL BONUS RAFFLE TICKET OPPORTUNITY!
Random Acts of Kindness - if you make and donate an item to charity, please note it when you post the project for an extra FIVE (5) raffle tickets!

3 Likes

Prompt: Big Time # 1
Project: Operation Use Up Yarn -- Valentine's Day 10" Wreath
Brief Description: Continuing my Operation Use Up Yarn, I made this sickenly sweet Valentine’s Heart Wreath
Photo:

Prompt: Zap # 2
Project Name: Heart-o-Riffic Handmade Valentine Cards
Brief Description: All 5 of these actually took me more than 30 minutes, but since I only photographed 1 and I am sure my Operation Use Up Yarn will make longer projects, I’m just gonna use a Zap!
Project Photo:

5 Likes

thank you for this! I love garlic but over the past couple years I have developed an intolerance for it.

1 Like

Prompt: Research Project (1)
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project: art journal
project link Canson art journal
Brief Description: continuing on my art journaling journey
Photo:
many more pics in the link

Prompt: Big Time project - 2
Project: skinny art journal
project link Skinny art journal
Brief Description: smaller skinny art journal
Photo:
many more pics in the link

Prompt: Biomass
Project: Lettuce Be Friends valentine cards
project link Lettuce Be Friends
Brief Description: lettuce is green and edible!
Photo:

Prompt: geothermal
Project: instantpot butter chicken
Brief Description: i used heat to make this butter chicken.
Photo:

6 Likes

Prompt: January Firn
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Veggie Hammock
Project Link:
Brief Description: We recently bought a new house with a terrible kitchen. we plan to remodel in 5 years, until then I need to be creative. I needed veggie storage. So I made a hammock with alternating square knots. I tried to take a picture under the cabinet I’m using it, but it was too dark. I have it hung with big cup hooks & it works great. (better than in the photo)
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Prompt: Big Time 1
Team: Bits & Bobs
Project Name: Exchange Valentines
Project Link: Leslie Knope-Inspired Valentines (Or Lettuce Craft, You Beautiful, Talented, Brilliant, Powerful Musk Ox)
Brief Description: For the Handmade Valentine Card Exchange, I created some Parks & Rec inspired cards. This included cutting out and folding the cards from cardstock, making masterboards and cutting them into hearts, assembling the cards, adding the sentiments, and making some calendar page envelopes to send them in. (I’m counting all of these elements toward the time requirement for the Big Time.)
Project Photo(s): Here’s a shot of the final cards; I can add photos of the masterboards and envelopes if required.
20210214_181900

4 Likes

Prompt: Research project #1 (RAK ticket bonus)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Charity blankets
Project Link: Charity blankets
Brief Description: I, along with some of the other ladies in my church, made these blankets as part of packages that are going to moms who have recently lost their infants. Some of the babies will be buried in these blankets. It’s very sad, but hopefully, they will feel some compassion from us. I made these 20 blankets. I think there were about 80 made in all.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Happy Heart Day Cards
Project Link: Happy Heart Day Cards
Brief Description: I made these for the Handmade Valentine Card Swap. I made over 20 of them, and they took waaaay longer than I expected. I spent an entire Saturday working on them, and didn’t even finish them until the next day. That doesn’t even count the time I spent making the spin art backgrounds! I had a couple of other design elements I had intended to include, but they didn’t look right, and I didn’t have time to come up with an alternative. So, they don’t look super fancy, but I really like how they came out!

Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Okay… I have not been great at commenting on projects for a while, so it’s time to get back on track! I know I commented on some of these projects on their actual posts, but I didn’t go and check each one, so I commented on them all, just to make sure I didn’t miss one (or, at least, I hope I didn’t!).

@Lynx: I am really impressed with your re-upholstered ottoman. I’ve done quite a few re-upholstery projects in the past, and I know how challenging they can be! Your Sympathy cards are just lovely, and I love the hummingbird on the back. Your puffin felt square makes me wish, again, that I had gotten to see some this summer. I like the detail you achieved with the felt. Excellent set of tags from Christmas cards. It’ll be so fun to use them next year for gift giving! I like your backyard friends notecards. You have some great shots in there- The one with the woodpecker is fantastic, and the squirrel is just so cute. But, your Felted Birds project is just so amazing! I think it may be my most favorite thing you have ever made. Each individual bird was beautiful, but the way you displayed them is just so perfect! And, your “mask” cards are so funny! Where did you find the inside text? Is it a stamp? Your Machu Picchu painting is just lovely. I like how you added just enough black outlines to define things without overwhelming the overall softness. And, your Reduce the Yarn Stash projects are great! I can’t believe how fast you’re knocking them out! The crochet lace scarf looks nice and soft, and I like how you blended the 2 yarn colors together. Your second scarf looks so nice and warm! The chunky rainbow scarf is so bright and cheery! That chunky cowl is such a neat technique- I thought you had to weave it every time you put it on, so I’m glad you don’t! But, your pumpkin bear is so cute! How many will be in the patch when you’re finished? I like the C2C pouch- that pink lining is so fun! Did you hand sew the lining in place? And, I like the hat and scarf set you made- will you co-worker get the scarf, too? I like your heart wreath- I think it has the right amount of sweet :wink: I like the Valentine cards, too- so much great texture!

@megwell: What a great idea to make a variety of scrappy embellishments in advance- it’ll be so handy to have them pre-made when you are working on other projects that just need a little something extra! I love your potholder- I just came across my loom and package of loops, and I was so tempted to sit and make a potholder on the spot! But, I had to tuck it away for another day. But now, I’m tempted to take it out again! I like your interpretation of the White Space journal layout! It’s so bold with the strong black and white sections and the bright, vibrant colors! And, I laughed at your “burritodilla” because I, too, always overstuff wraps! And, Leslie Knope Valentines- simply awesome!

@Bunny1kenobi: Your seahorse card is fantastic- the seahorse really stands out from the blended background (a technique I haven’t tried yet). And, your smoker hat for your dad is hilarious! Did he love it? And, what a great idea to use vinyl to identify the S & P and to cover up the holes- it’s a win-win! I like your goal board- it’s much nicer than the list I was keeping on the bathroom mirror! And, what a sweet and thoughtful charity donation. It makes me sad that they’re needed, but happy that they’ll have them.

@gozer: Your embroidered rose pendant is simply gorgeous. The embroidery looks so delicate against the black background, and the pendant frame sets it off so nicely! But the bee pendant! Gah! I love it so much! Your LC Snail Mail stamp is amazing! I love how you used the lettuce as the snail shell- so clever! I really like your Golden Snitch TM patch- I knew what it was right away! And, I bet grape sherbet is delicious! I’ve never made sherbet before. I have a mini ice cream maker, so I might have to attempt this at some point. You captured Venkman so splendidly in his felt doppelgänger. What a wonderful way to remember him! And, his little bag is so sweet, too! Is it big enough to hold his little blankie? Those dino magnets are just so cute! Such tiny stitches! I like the colors you chose for them, too.

@storerboughtcreation: Your niece is adorable in her Minnie Mouse dress! And, your other niece is just so cute in her Bubblegum sweater (I would totally wear that). It’s so cool that you get to make clothing for them! I really like your Hummingbird Mandala-the colors you chose are perfect! I haven’t tried cutting a design like that, but I think I have at least one cut file for one. I’m hoping to clear off my craft “table” in my craft room so I can keep my Silhouette out, which will make me use it more!

@roler: It boggles my mind how quickly you picked up crochet and are just knocking out such adorable creations. Your Toucan is just so cute (I love his little legs). And, I have the supplies and pattern for the cuttlefish, but I have a feeling it won’t look as cool as yours! And the gecko! Oh, my! I think I might need to make one of those, too- so adorable! Great job on your Sawtooth Star block! It wasn’t the easiest block to make, so I’m impressed at how you worked through some challenges to create such a pretty end result. And, your ATCs for GeekyBookworm are so fun! And, I love how you incorporated your Star Wars TM patches (Darth Vader is cute as a little feltie!). And, your Bufflehead ATC is so cute- you captured the colors on his head so well! And, good job for using what you had on hand!

@geekgirl: I really like your lettuce stamp. I need to make one for my LC mail- you’ve inspired me! Your white space journal page came out so great!!! I love the eyes that you used, the background colors are gorgeous, and the quote is most excellent! And, your trash art page is also fabulous. I love how you can take trash and turn it into something beautiful. And, your Northern Lights hoop makes me swoon- it’s so beautiful! I like those little note cards! They look like the perfect size for tucking into swap packages! Your art journals are so wonderful! I love the variety of techniques you used on all of your pages! And, your Lettuce Valentines are so fun. I love the backgrounds you used for each one. And, now, after looking at the photo of the butter chicken, I am hungry. I haven’t made butter chicken yet, but I think I’ll have to try it soon!

@Inselaeffchen: Ah, Among Us… so many of my students love it! I’m having an attendance raffle next month, so perhaps I need to make one as a prize!

@ezrib: Fantastic snowflake coasters! And, great idea to crochet a “winter” coaster that you can keep using long after Christmas has passed. I love your paper snowflakes, too. I would love to do something like that. Several years ago, in my classroom, I had “heat snakes” hanging from the ceiling (paper coils, essentially), and I used to love how they moved in the air- it was such a calming effect! And, cilantro pesto… yum… I will definitely be making this at some point! And, I’ll have to look up what Shakshuka is- it looks delicious! I like your scratch off cards- what did you use for the scratch-off portions? Such a fun idea! And, your veggie hammock is such a clever solution for holding veggies! I also have a terrible kitchen, so I can fully appreciate a clever storage solution!

@Tanath: I really like that snowflake pendant! I haven’t done much bead weaving, but I could be tempted to try now!

@Smeddley: That crochet gnome is too stinkin’ cute! I love the wonky stripes on his hat!

3 Likes

Thank you
to answer your questions I bought the scratch off circles from Amazon. I know you can do a dish soap/paint diy for it, but I haven’t had great luck being able to read after scratching, so I bought that part

2 Likes

Thanks for that info! I’m glad to know the DIY version doesn’t work. It saves me a lot of work (and potentially wasted time)!

2 Likes

Prompt: Zap # 3
Project: Backyard Bird Notecard Set Washi Style
Brief Description: I used fun camera washi tape to showcase these bird print cards.
Project Photo:

2 Likes

–I am really impressed with your re-upholstered ottoman. –
Thank you! I love how it turned out, too.

–Your puffin felt square makes me wish, again, that I had gotten to see some this summer.–
Maybe someday there can be a fun LC puffin tour meet up! I hope to get back to MA soon; My cousin, aunt and uncle live in Haverhill.

– I like your backyard friends notecards. You have some great shots in there- The one with the woodpecker is fantastic, and the squirrel is just so cute.–

I never thought I’d be a bird fanatic, but here I am crushing it! Ha! Thank you!

– your Felted Birds project is just so amazing! I think it may be my most favorite thing you have ever made.–

I absolutely adore it, too, and it is definitely one of my favorites as well!

Where did you find the inside text? Is it a stamp?

I ordered the mask and mask/bra stamp from this Etsy shop. This is a great place for papercrafters to get all sorts of awesome die cuts, embossing folders, and stamps!

– Your Machu Picchu painting is just lovely. I like how you added just enough black outlines to define things without overwhelming the overall softness.–

Thanks!

– your Reduce the Yarn Stash projects are great! –

I’m not sure how many bears will be in my patch, but probably at least 4. My friend said he’d take the scarf, so I’m hoping he’ll want the hat, too. I’m sure I’ll make more of the zip pouches, too. They are good stash busters for smaller yarn amounts!

–I can’t believe how fast you’re knocking them out!–

It’s nice to keep knocking that stash down and down and down…

Thanks for all your comments! I am terrible about commenting on the thread, mostly because I usually look on my phone, so click :heart: instead. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you ever do make it to MA, I’d love to meet up! Haverhill is only about 90 minutes from me (and I can drive past my old apartment). And, oh boy… I just clicked on that Etsy link and quickly closed it! Too many tempting items!

And, I also check things on my phone and hit the :heart: icon. I mean to go back and comment, but I usually forget! I’m really trying to be better about it.

For example…

I love how the cardinal and blue jay each make such a bright burst of color against the snowy white backdrop. The shots are nicely framed to capture that!

1 Like

I hate typing on my phone, so I either :heart: or minimal reply like now. There are so many things I want in that shop!

1 Like

I have more projects done, but I am waiting for swaps. Ughhhh. That drives me bonkers. Ha!

Prompt: February - Solar
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: Cat heart Valentines
Project Link: Cat Hearts Valentine Cards
Brief Description: The cats in these Valentines are round, fat cats.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes