Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2023

Challenge: Detention - Reparo
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Luns Transformation
Project Description: I’ve had this Luns unit for years but we haven’t utilized the chalkboard feature for ages now. Additionally, I needed a place to put my notebook and folder each day when I come home from work, because I can never figure out where I stashed them and it makes me crazy in the morning! I was looking at units at IKEA and on Amazon, but then realized that for MUCH less money, I could just transform what I already had to better suit my needs. I got some patterned sticky-back paper at dollar tree to cover the chalkboard (which was not brightening the entryway at all!) I also took out the little chalk trays and made a foamboard shelf to cover the holes that had held them. The extra piece of sticky paper went on the shelf, as well as a bit of washi tape to cover the front edge. Gold washi tape covered the small gap left on either side of the chalkboard, and I put the trays down on the bottom shelf to corral things so they wouldn’t fall out the sides. I had some glittery pink elastic that I attached to either side so that I would have a stretchy band to keep my notebook and folder on the shelf. It’s much brighter and happier now, and works great for my needs!
I didn’t remember to take a pic of it before, so here’s a stock photo and a pic of how it looks now.
Project Pics:
luns

6 Likes

Awesome transformation!

1 Like

:seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face:

HEY EV-ERY-BODY! It’s time to vote in the Spring Is In The Air Challenge! Get on over there before the poll closes on March 27, 2023!

Class/Challenge: Herbology
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Purple Dumpling Kitties
Brief Description: For Herbology, I used a pattern (Dumpling Kitty, Ravelry link) to make a pair of dumpling kitties.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: History of Magic
SPEW: Square by Square Project (local yarnworkers group)
Project Name: Black Blanket Squares
Brief Description: For this class, I made some corner-to-corner blanket squares. It’s an easy project that I’ve made so many times that it doesn’t require a lot of brain power. :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

~

Class/Challenge: Muggle Studies
Project Name: Apple Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
Brief Description: For Muggle Studies, the muggles I studied were celebrating math by making pies :thinking:. So I made an apple pie using this recipe: Apple Pie with Graham Cracker Crust.

• I used 11 graham crackers for the crust and brushed the crust with an eggwash before baking (I think you’re only supposed to use the egg white, but I accidentally used the whole egg & it turned out fine).
  • I used 4 granny smith apples & 2 gala apples.
  • I left out the cardamom because I didn’t have any.
  • I only used 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) for the crumb topping.

Project Picture:
before baking:

after baking:

~

Class/Challenge: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name: Grey Dumpling Kitties
Brief Description: For SoAR, I used grey yarn to make a pair of dumpling kitties (pattern: Dumpling Kitty, Ravelry link).
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Transfiguration
SPEW: Square by Square Project (local yarnworkers group)
Project Name: Blue Blanket Squares
Brief Description: For this class, I frogged an old project (a hat scarf) & made some corner-to-corner blanket squares.
Project Picture:

before:

6 Likes

I love the crocheted kitties!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - WIP
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: No Gather Tiered Skirt
Brief Description: The fabric sourcing is more the reason this stayed a WIP than the actual work, but it was a great feeling to get this knocked out.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Stash Buster
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Pixie hat
Brief Description: Using the stash left over from earlier Gryffindor themed projects I made up this little pixie hat because it looks like something a baby/young child witch or wizard might wear. As I finished knitting this one she popped a hole so I wound up making a second one to give as a gift and fixed this one to keep here for now. It’s a little small for my giant 4 year old so I might rehome it when she is ready to part with it.

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
Project Name & Page Link: Pixie Hat.
Brief Description: This little Gryffie pixie hat is going to live with a proper Gryf family.
Project Picture

And lest one thinks I am playing games with braids and making one hat look like two:

6 Likes

I love them!!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Labradorite Rosary
Brief Description: This rosary features mystical labradorite, the stone of transformation, believed to protect the wearer from negative energy.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: History of Magic
Project Name & Page Link: Howlite Rosary
Brief Description: I’ve made so many rosaries that it’s not really anything I need to concentrate on as I work - once everything is counted out, it practically puts itself together.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name & Page Link: Happy Little Scraps Quilt
Brief Description: The borders and backing on this quilt are shades of grey, some of which look like marble. The piecing of the quilt is all straight lines, too.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Do you get your rosary supplies anywhere specific, or are they just general beading supplies? I have had making a rosary for the atheopagan rosary on my list for a while but just wasn’t sure where to start.

That scrap quilt is just chef’s kiss.

Thank you!

The rosary medals I do get from a Catholic medals shop on Etsy, but the eye pins, jump rings, chain, and beads are just from various jewelry findings suppliers. If you’re looking for anything specific, send me a message and I’ll give you links to the shops I bought them from.

D’oh! I almost forgot to announce that there are new Headmistress, Iron Chef, and Book Club prompts!

3 Likes

Class/Challenge: Divination
Project Name: Yarn Bowl Coaster
Brief Description: For Divination, I crocheted a coaster to protect my table from my ceramic yarn bowl. It’s made from cotton yarn & has 13 rounds of crochet - I made 2 circles (6 rounds of double crochet each) and crocheted them together with 1 round of reverse single crochet.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: House Unity
Project Name: Red Ripple Bowls
Brief Description: For House Unity, I crocheted a pair of ripple bowls out of Gryffindor red yarn. I used this pattern, did 9 rounds for one bowl & 10 rounds for the other, and added a round of reverse single crochet to both.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Potions
Project Name: Blue Ripple Bowls
Brief Description: For Potions, I crocheted a pair of ripple bowls out of blue yarn. I used this pattern, did 9 rounds for one bowl & 10 rounds for the other, and added a round of reverse single crochet to both.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: The Count of Monte Cristo Junk Journal
Brief Description: There is a crazy amount of glue, wax, and thread holding this journal together. It’s almost magical how much bigger it gets when you unwrap that rope.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club - ch. 7: Bagman and Crouch
Project Name & Page Link: Junk journal inserts
Brief Description: These pockets and secret note cards were fun inserts to include in my junk journal, a big project that I worked on secretly.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: WIP Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: The Husband Sweater (Pattern)
Brief Description: I’ve been slogging through the endless sea of stockinette since before Christmas on this sweater. But, it’s now complete, ready to wear, and fits perfectly. Well worth the work.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Stash Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Knitted Breeches
Brief Description: I pulled a ball of yarn out of stash and improvised a pair of pants for my 3D-printed BJD… DS2 was tired of seeing his butt and all but demanded I dress him.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Giant project dump!

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Bumblebee Chocolate Dipped Pretzels
Brief Description: For Ada’s first birthday I made a huge platter of chocolate dipped pretzels . I dipped the pretzels in golden yellow candy melts, then drizzled with milk chocolate to look like the stripes on a bee.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
Project Name & Page Link: Snail Mug Rug
Brief Description: I followed a pattern and a few tutorials to make this mug rug! The pattern is from C Bird Crochet Patterns, and the yarn is called Caron Little Crafties.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Bumblebee Candy Bark
Brief Description: Another project for Ada’s birthday. I made a huge batch of candy bark; white chocolate with drops of leftover yellow, and the other was milk chocolate. Both were filled with pretzels, Butterfinger bits, Reese’s Pieces, Oreos, and sprinkles. It was a lot of ingredients!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: Honey Spice Birthday Cake
Brief Description: Ada’a cake was a honey spice cake decorated with honey icing and held together with buttercream, and decorated with tiny candy bees and flowers. It was delicious.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
Project Name & Page Link: Balloon Arch
Brief Description: The yellow and black color scheme reminded me of my Hufflepuff friends.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Comfort
Project Name & Page Link: Honeycomb Snack Mix
Brief Description: I made a double batch of Honeycomb Caramel Snack Mix. It made me feel trashy to buy sugary cereal, only to add more sugar to it, but damn it was good. Everyone loved it, and I’m going to have to make more, just to use up the family sized box of cereal.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

1 Like

I almost forgot!

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef Challenge: April - Comfort Food
Project Name & Page Link: Dad’s Meatloaf
Brief Description: It’s simple and rustic and tastes like home. I made my dad’s meatloaf recipe to break my Good Friday fast Saturday night (which meant cold meatloaf sandwiches for two days!).

Ingredients:
ground beef, eggs, minced onion, ketchup, garlic and onion powder, crushed saltine crackers, salt and pepper (and, I just remembered that I forgot the Worcestershire sauce, boo)
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Guys! Guys! Guys! Guys!!!

Aaaaggghhhh!!!

3 Likes

I always felt like each book should be a whole season of a show long. To get all the details and characters cutting them down to 2 hour movies removes.

1 Like