CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2022

You and @gozer have amazing collection of atcs you just shared!

1 Like

@Bunny1kenobi So many beautiful and fun ATCs! I love all of them. You know I adore my altered tin! Itā€™s in my office so I get to look at it every day and smile. Great idea for TM patches as magnets! That bookmark is too cute! Lip balm and zip pouch, tooā€¦color theme is on point! And, super congrats on finsihig such a big xstitch project!

@craftADDchick EEK, I still love those triceratops! Theyā€™re adorable separately, and then making them a rainbow just really puts me over the edge into squee-land! :smiley: That address book is a great idea! Losing all the old swap data was such a blow.

@gozer That Fray Girl patch is beautiful! And all of those ATCS! I just always sit in awe of you. And LOL at the bulletin board! It looks good, and Iā€™m truly impressed you accomplished all of that in an hour! Love that bubble pod, too. Pretty fabrics!

@megwell I love that art journal page! I have a bin of stuff to start working on junk journals, again. Youā€™re giving me some inspo!

@Lynx I have several of those sayings, lol! Even through I studied only in high school, I say them regularly still 20 years later. I love that idea, and how it turned out. What a fun gift for your friend!

2 Likes

Thanks to @storerboughtcreation and @Smeddley for allowing me to post my massive cross stitch project in chunks!

Prompt: Research Project 1
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Operation Alaska Embroidery Page 3
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I completed pattern page 3 of 32 total pages of a project that will measure approx 37 by 27 inches when complete. I have been in shades of blue all this time! Each page takes me easily 20+ hours of time to complete.
Project Photo:

(This shows pages 1-3), but I have some recent progress photos in the Snapshot thread in the lounge. Hereā€™s a photo for size:

I actually made a ton of mistakes in the bottom right, but I donā€™t think they will matter in the long run, so I worked around them.

4 Likes

Prompt: March - Battle - Butter
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Pickle ATC #1
Project Link: Two Pickle ATCs
Brief Description: Thinking outside the box, there are butter pickles! So BUTTER! LOL! This is an ATC I made for a friend in the ATC swap. It started as a joke and I ended up making two. I made this ATC and then about a day later I was getting out of my car and all of a sudden it hit me what I had done. I can be a little slow about things. Ha!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Oatmeal Cranberry
Project Name: Pickle ATC #2
Project Link: Two Pickle ATCs
Brief Description: The background of this pickle ATC is red!
Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

Oh my goodness! I love them! Itā€™s funny because a friend just posted some pickle-themed art, and I was thinking that it would be fun to have some silly pickle art for the kitchen.

2 Likes

I totally love these pickles! Their expressions are perfect!

Prompt: March - Monster Cookie
Project Name: Cake
Brief Description: I make a German chocolate cake for my partnerā€™s birthday. The cake was from a mix, and I made the filling/frosting from scratch. It was actually fairly simple - sugar, egg yolks, evaporated milk, vanilla, coconut and pecans. I also realized I donā€™t have a cake plate or stand, so I used the lid for a big plastic bowl, and was able to put the bowl over the top to storeā€¦make shift cake container! Not the prettiest thing Iā€™ve ever made, but itā€™s sure tasty!

Project Photo(s)

cake

6 Likes

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Fan Project
Brief Description: I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve ever shared this, but I am a huge One Direction fan and have been forā€¦at least a decade? I love all of their solo careers, too. One of the members recently had a concert in town, and I decided to do a fan project. I perhaps got in a bit over my head, trying to do it alone, but it worked out in the end.

The venue was on the smaller side, holding 1,500 people. I needed something that was economically feasible and doable in the timeline I had available (about 2.5 weeks before the show because I hemmed and hawed about if I was going to go, and what to do for so long, lol!). I ended up getting about 1,600 red paper heart doilies that could serve two uses: holding them in the air during one song, and placing them over a phone light to get a red glow on another song.

I made and printed labels, and stuck them on all 1,600+ doilies (with a little help from my mom, to be transparent, but I did a huge majority of them myself). I also knew that I was going to need help handing them out, so I made themed buttons to thank my fellow concert goers who volunteered. Plus, I gave out about 100 pride flags as well. They had to be assembled so that was another chunk of time.

It was an ice cold, snowy, and brutally windy night, and I stood outside handing things out to as many people as possible, to the point where I didnā€™t even know how my hands were still moving they were so frozen. My friend was supposed to meet me there, but the roads were bad and she couldnā€™t make it, so I started asking people if they would take a bag of hearts and hand them out inside. I ended up coming home with only about 200-300 left, so that means most people in the venue likely got one!

Shout out to all of the amazing women who helped get them out to people, and to everyone who smiled and got excited when they got a heart and pride flag. It really made my entire nightā€¦maybe even month. And of course, to everyone who participated! After spending the whole time trying to get them distributed, I ended up with a nice spot in the back to watch the show. Success!

This was my first big anything since the start of COVID, and I double masked, did my best to stay distanced, and took several tests. I wasnā€™t sure about going, but I knew I would be heart broken if I didnā€™tā€¦I bought the tickets all the way back in 2019! Iā€™m glad I went, and glad I got to share some love with others. If you made it this far, thanks for reading this novel!

Project Photo(s):

This is only a tiny tiny bit of them all:

A few pride flags:

pride flags

Hearts up:

Phone lights up:

smcoacoac

Pride flags up:

otb flags

6 Likes

@LovelyMiss That is so cool that you got so many people to participate. I have to ask, who was playing? I mean, which member?

1 Like

Prompt: February - Sudoku
Project Name: Inchie Animal Dice
Project Link: Animal Inchie Dice
Brief Description: A dice is definitely square! These were the dice I sent for the inchie dice swap.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March ā€“ Iced Cookie
Project Name: Wrapped Chapsticks
Project Link: (Easter Egg Swap Gallery - #21 by Lynx2Lancer)
Brief Description: I made these for the Easter Egg swap. I used one image from the internet of chicks for Easter, and then I used my partners own artwork for the other two (my partner was Lynx2Lancer).
Project Photo(s): I cannot post this photo. I have been trying for over half an hour and in several different ways (different sizes, types, of files, phone and computer) nothing works. So I am adding a link to where my partner posted photos. I also left a message so hopefully this is fixed for me.
Easter Egg Swap Gallery - #21 by Lynx2Lancer

6 Likes

I love the animals on those dice! And you sure spoiled @Lynx :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I hope they fix your image posting issue. Itā€™s weird that it will not post for you. Technology can be great but also so infuriating.

1 Like

@gozer Thank you! It was pretty cool to see it all come together and have so many people participate. The member was Louis Tomlinson. Iā€™ve seen all of them live as solo acts now! Except Zayn, who has bad anxiety and hasnā€™t done shows since leaving the band.

@Lynx Wowza, thatā€™s going to be huuuuge! What a cool project. I canā€™t wait to see your progress and the end result!

@gozer Those ATCs are too funny! And cute! I love them. All the animals are so sweet, and that looks like a great swap package! Hope that photo issue gets worked how; how frustrating!

1 Like

Just a reminder about the prize event! Two more weeks! Let me send you something fun!

4 Likes

I have more to post, just waiting for the ability. :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

Prompt: Free Range #2
Project Name: L2L necklaces
Project Link: -0-
Brief Description: I made these for LynxtoLancer in the Easter Egg swap. I used her own artwork so that her furutre art students can be inspired to think passed the page and what other things flat art can be turned into.
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: February ā€“ Bingo!
Team: Running w Scissors
Project Name: Dino in Space
Project Link: Space Dino, Bee & LISK ATCs
Brief Description: I really liked how this little dino turned out. His uniform has striped on his tail.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February ā€“ Crossword Puzzles
Project Name: LISK ATC
Brief Description: This ATC incorporates a clue, a real clue! The HM or MH on the corner was from a belt buckle found at the scene. Its one of the few clues given to the media.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February ā€“ Chocolate Chip
Project Name: Bee ATC
Brief Description: Doesnā€™t this little baby look soft? If not, he was supposed to. Ha!
Project Photo(s):

And with that, I have completed all the prompts. I need to post up my last Big Time next! Coming soon, I just need to get pics.

9 Likes

Time to start chipping away at my project backlogā€¦
Prompt: Crossword Puzzles (February)
Project Name: Happy Mail Cards
Project Link: New Happy Mail and Note Cards
Brief Description: The borders are boxes around the masterboard fronts.
Project Photo(s)
20220104_144757

Prompt: Scrub-a-dub (January)
Project Name: Cat junk journal page
Project Link: Junk Journal January 2022 (pic heavy)
Brief Description: Cats are notoriously prickly, as are some flowers.
Project Photo(s)
20220104_181651

Prompt: Singing in the Shower (January)
Project Name: ā€œOuterspaceā€ junk journal page
Brief Description: The quote is a song lyric.
Project Photo(s)
20220113_211843

Prompt: Word Search (February)
Project Name: New beginnings junk journal page
Brief Description: The piece at the bottom flips up to show a hidden element.
Project Photo(s)
20220102_205000

Prompt: Anagrams (February)
Project Name: Found poetry junk journal page
Brief Description: I created the poem by taking the words out of their intended order.
Project Photo(s)
20220110_204924

Prompt: Bingo (February)
Project Name: Little moments junk journal page
Brief Description: The Clue sheet on this page has columns.
Project Photo(s)
20220104_181706

Prompt: Oatmeal Cranberry (March)
Project Name: Positive vibes junk journal page
Brief Description: Thereā€™s a lot of pink (red) on this page.
Project Photo(s)
20220107_183633

Prompt: Sugar Cookie (March)
Project Name: Junk mail junk journal page
Brief Description: This one is pretty simple ā€“ just a mailer cut up and stuck down and a quick border.
Project Photo(s)
20220130_212229

Prompt: Iced Cookie (March)
Project Name: Floral junk journal page
Brief Description: This page uses multiple colors.
Project Photo(s)
20220109_194708

5 Likes

Prompt: March battle - Margarine
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Steamed Pork Buns
Project Link:
Brief Description: Last week, my friend and I made steamed pork buns! Iā€™d never used a bamboo steamer or really made anything like this before, so I was a bit nervous, but so happy with how they turned out! I chose ā€œmargarineā€ for the prompt because my friend canā€™t eat dairy or a lot of other things, so we used gluten free flower and a soy sauce alternative and various other substitutions to make this work. Sadly the photo doesnā€™t do these tasty things justice!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March: Monster Cookie
Project Name: Psyduck Hat
Project Link: Psyduck Hat
Brief Description: I made a fun and goofy Psyduck hat! Psyduck is a PokĆ©mon, and of course that ā€œmonā€ is short for ā€œmonsterā€! (Even if Psyduck doesnā€™t seem too monstrous!)
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February: Sudoku
Project Name: Robot TM Patch
Project Link: TM patches for swap
Brief Description: This robot has a square-ish body and probably thinks in numbers!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February: Word Search
Project Name: Alien TM Patch
Brief Description: I had trouble finding my batting for these patches! It took a bunch of digging around in my closet of crafty stuff, but I finally found it!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February: Bingo!
Project Name: Leaf TM Patch
Brief Description: The stitches around the edges are stripey like columns.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March: Iced Cookie
Project Name: Heart TM Patch
Brief Description: This definitely has multiple colors!
Project Photo(s):
(See above)

Prompt: February: Anagrams
Project Name: Fish Scale Masterboard
Project Link: Masterboard swap package
Brief Description: After cutting out all these circles from various different papers, I shuffled them around in a little cardboard box before pulling them out at random. (Left masterboard in the photo)
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February: Crossword Puzzles
Project Name: Blue and pink masterboard
Brief Description: Some of the colored cardboard stripes here are criss-crossed, and the whole background is graph paper with boxes and squares.
Project Photo(s):
(See above, upper right masterboard)

Prompt: March: Chocolate Chip
Project Name: Blue and green masterboard
Brief Description: The background of this piece is a tan paper bag, and before all the thick paint dried, the whole sheet felt very soft and melted.
Project Photo(s):
(See above, bottom right masterboard)

Prompt: March: Sugar Cookie
Project Name: Owl ATC
Brief Description: This owl is one of the simpler ATCs Iā€™ve made, but Iā€™m still happy with it! :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Also, wow, this thread has really filled up with more amazing projects since Iā€™ve been here! Iā€™ve been feeling a little too stressed to really keep up with crafting stuff well lately, but Iā€™m starting to feel more myself and hope to be more present here. For now, just WOW, awesome stuff!!

8 Likes

Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Inspiration junk journal page.
Brief Description: I pulled this quote from the book I was reading at the time. The dotted paper is from a gel print by Reinikka.
Project Photo:

Prompt: Zap 1
Project Name: Stamps junk journal page.
Brief Description: This seemed like a good way to highlight some of the cool stamps Iā€™ve gotten in swaps/happy mail. I may actually have spent >30 minutes on it, but most of that was just stressing over the arrangementā€¦
Project Photo:

Prompt: Monster Cookie (March)
Project Name: Mystery cookie junk journal page.
Brief Description: Last month I found a random Crumbl cookie delivery on my porch. I still havenā€™t IDed the sender, but of course I did a journal page about it. The tag doesnā€™t look monstrous, but the process to get that final product was. (Really, the whole thing kind of went that way.)
Project Photo:

6 Likes