CLOSED - Nerd Games - Fall 2023

Prompt: November Battle - Old-School Stakeout
Team: So Corn-fused
*Project Name: Scrapbook Page 1 (for this season ;P)
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: This looks like a very simple page, but it ended up taking me hours because as I sifted through papers and stickers and things, I ended up sorting a ton of them. Now I have a very organized scrapbooking area and one simple but pretty page! Also, this was for a villains and superheroes murder mystery party and these characters would DEFINITELY go the old-school stakeout route to find more criminals!
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: October - The Detectorists
Project Name: Partridge Ornament
Project Link: Will post later
Brief Description: This partridge is for a 12 day of Christmas ornament set for my parents! It has gold lame yarn worked into it. I used a pattern by makemeroar.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November - Avengers
Project Name: Speckled Bird
Project Link:
Brief Description: Another pattern by makemeroar; this one is called “Speckled Bird”! Speckled is close to polka-dots, and it’s definitely got more pink than most of my crafts! I’m planning to hang this on my wall.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

:sparkles: will catch up on some commenting later, but for tonight, I just need to get my battle in! So…

Prompt: October Battle - Old School Surveillance
Team: So Corn-Fused
Project Name: Crocheted Impkin
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: A coworker has listened to me complain more than she probably should have to, and she’s been having a rough time with both her personal life and work, so I went the old-school route of passing notes… little mailman Impkin had a bunch of little “letters” with inspirational messages printed inside! I left it anonymously on her desk, but she guessed it was me!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Okay, I’m getting this in last minute- it took me 3 1/2 hours to make this tonight, and I really should have been working on getting my house ready for an inspection next week! But, there’s always this weekend!

In any case…

Prompt: November Battle- High Tech Surveillance
Team: Team Don’t Stop Beleafing
Project Name: Crochet Christmas Tree
Project Link: coming soon, I hope
Brief Description: One of my crochet club students wanted to make a Christmas tree, so I bought this pattern. I figured that I should make it so I would know how it went together. It’s supposed to have a star at the top, but it’s after 11:30 PM and the alarm rings at 5:30 AM, so it’s a plain tree. And, I just realized that I forgot the little smile, so the tree looks a little grumpy (and the picture isn’t the greatest. but, again, it’s after 11:30 :laughing: ). It fits the prompt because when I was a kid, the local Sears store had a “talking” Christmas tree. When you walked by, it would shake a little and talk to you. I seem to recall that it responded to what you actually said to it, so I can only imagine that there was someone sitting in a room with a camera and a microphone (high tech for the times!), interacting with people as they walked by. This little tree reminded me of that!
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: November-chuck
Team: Gourd of the Rings
Project Name: Booktrovert ornament
Project Link: Booktrovert ornament
Brief Description: Reading is “nerdy”.
Project Photo:

Prompt: December- Only murders in the building
Project Name: Zip pouches
Project Link: Project Pouches!
Brief Description: I made these from upholstery samples and the red stripes are fuzzy velvet.
Project Photo:

6 Likes

Prompt: Advent #8
Project Name: Family ATC for Austin
Project Link: He gets $*** DONE - a family ATC
Brief Description: I made this from paper. And glue. And markers. And distress ink. And love.
Project Photo:

Prompt: November- Burn Notice
Project Name: Fire Man ATC for Toad
Project Link: Fire Man- a family ATC two-fer
Brief Description: This has a yellow background.
Project Photo:

Prompt: December- The Last Detective
Project Name: Fire Man ATC for Ty
Project Link: Fire Man- a family ATC two-fer
Brief Description: My son gave up on trying to convince his little brother that “Fire Man” was actually “Iron Man.”
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Prompt: Advent #6
Project Name: Flossing ATC
Project Link: Flossing! - a family ATC
Brief Description: The background of this card is sparkly. Click the link for a better pic!
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: Uh Oh!
Project Link: Uh oh…..-a family ATC
Brief Description: Yet another family ATC!!
Project Photo:

6 Likes

Prompt: December- Hamish Macbeth
Project Name: Everybody’s Dad
Project Link: Everybody’s Dad- a Family ATC
Brief Description: His cape is red!
Project Photo:

6 Likes

Prompt: Zap
Team: Don’t Stop Beleafing
Project Name: Prehistoric Holiday Decorating
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: I have been in the thick of preparing my house for an insurance inspection (long story), and it finally happened this morning. In the process of cleaning/organizing, I came across a variety of craft supplies. I was able to put these together to create my only holiday decorations so far! The dinosaurs already had the holes cut into them (from an earlier project). This took about 15 minutes to put together, including the gathering of the supplies (it’s amazing how quickly a project can come together when you know where everything is!).

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

That is hysterical!

2 Likes

Prompt: Big Time #1
Project Name: Junk Journal
Project Link:
Brief Description: My junk journal made from the kit from LovelyMiss (thank you!)
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Prompt: December Battle: Hard-Boiled Police Investigator
Project Name: Rain prints of leaves ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’ve made a lot of ATCs in my life, so I feel that qualifies for Hard boiled police investigator. :wink: the prompt was for leaf prints on sidewalk from the rain. This is color pencils.
Project Photo:
23acslosp-sm

4 Likes

@Bunny1kenobi - wonderful ATCs! :slight_smile: I really like those velvet zip pouches!

@megwell - The something mysterious guy ATC is great! Does the cardboard pinball machine work?

@LovelyMiss - Wow! so many candles! They look great! :slight_smile: :candle:

@storerboughtcreation - WOW! That blanket is amazing! :elephant:

@gozer - awww… such a cute little yeti!

@ezrib - Mmm, that soup and sandwich looks delicious! :ramen:

@roler - cute partridge ornament! :bird:

@Smeddley - adorable little Impkin mailman! :email:

@craftADDchick - cute tree! :evergreen_tree: And those are some festive dinosaurs! :sauropod:

3 Likes

Yes? I installed one of the flippers wrong, so its range of motion is compromised. But its still playable.

4 Likes

That’s pretty neat that it works! :slight_smile:

Oh wow, I just looked some up on youtube so I could see them work, they’re pretty cool!

3 Likes

Prompt: December Battle - Amateur Armchair Detective
Project Name: Onion Soup Mix
Project Link: Onion Soup Mix
Brief Description: Made for the gift buffet! I chose amateur armchair detective because I researched the recipes I used online, and I’d say that’s pretty armchair detective of me. :rofl:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December - Murdoch Mysteries
Project Name: Charcoal deodorizers
Project Link: Charcoal Deodorizer Sets
Brief Description: Also for my gift offerings. I made these using brown burlap bags and brown tags. (And, in the process got to tear apart my sewing machine and learn how to fix it, lol).

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December - Castle
Project Name: Card Folder
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this to send for my card writing group. Paper, has some black and white, and is filled with words inside the letter!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December - Only Murders in the Building
Project Name: Hat
Project Link:
Brief Description: I managed a few hats this year on top of everything else I made. And then I FORGOT THEM AT HOME. Oops. I’ll probably end up donating them! Yarn is fuzzy.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December - The Last Detective
Project Name: Hat
Project Link:
Brief Description: Another hat that is drab and gray. Not dropping stitches is also often a problem for me, and this one was no exception.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December - Hamish Macbeth
Project Name: Dandelion embroidery
Project Link:
Brief Description: I found this kit and it was perfect for a colleague for a lot of reasons. So I stitched it up and just need to get it in the mail! Nature-themed.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Time Warp
Project Name: Jalapeno Salt
Project Link: Jalapeno Salt
Brief Description: Another gift buffet item. I think salt might kind of sparkle, and Rocky Horror might be a kinda spicy musical/film.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Gone Till November
Project Name: Reed Diffusers 1
Project Link: Reed Diffusers
Brief Description: These required liquid!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Autumn Sweater
Project Name: Reed Diffusers 2
Project Link: Reed Diffusers
Brief Description: I used paper for the labels, and the flower reeds are also paper!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Operator
Project Name: Rice packs
Project Link: Hot/Cold Rice Packs
Brief Description: I have made these many times, and got a specific request to make some this year for the gift buffet. I already had some pre-cut from years prior, so I stitched those up WIP style (and did a few more).

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Cold as Ice
Project Name: Pom pom garland
Project Link:
Brief Description: This has been on my to-do list for years. I was going to buy pom pom garland several times and I kept stopping myself saying, “B, you have so much yarn at home. You can make this!” I FINALLY decided to sacrifice some pretty rainbow yarn and got to work. I ended up with about 45 pompoms. I wish I had another skein so it could fill the tree a little more, but it is doing it’s job this year! I’ll probably do another at some point in the future (or not).

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Give It Away
Project Name: Soap
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made up a few bars of rebatch soap and packaged them in bags with labels for the gift buffet.

Project Photo(s):

soap 2023

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Quick Thanksgiving
Project Link:
Brief Description: My mom’s household all got COVID and we cancelled Thanksgiving at the last minute. We didn’t plan on making any fancy dinner at our house with it just being my partner and me. Then I mentioned I had some stuffing if we wanted a little taste of Thanksgiving, and it just spiraled from there. I ended up making a pretty well rounded Thanksgiving dinner with all things I had already. I even made the gravy from scratch with a roux and “Better Than Bouillon,” AND A PIE. We even had rolls in the freezer. Nothing SPECTACULAR, and I was still pretty impressed with myself if I’m being honest, since it was totally unplanned, lol.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Number paint
Project Link:
Brief Description: No delivery people could see the numbers on our house from the street and it was a hassle for everyone involved. We rent so I was limited in my options to fix the problem. I ended up just doing a quick coat of a light acrylic paint. It won’t wear well, but hopefully it will get us through winter. It’s been an immediate difference for drivers. Amazing what a (sloppy) coat of paint can do! :crazy_face:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Zine
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these for the recent Zine Swap. I wrote and designed the interior, including the little doodles, which I did on my ipad. I printed them (OMG) and hand bound using waxed thread. They are 5" x 7", have 38 pages of content, and took at least 10 hours.

Project Photo(s):

And here’s a picture just for fun! My biggest gift buffet of the year all laid out.

There were barely any items left at the end (the goal)! :smiley:

7 Likes

Where do you work? And can I get a job application?

3 Likes

:rofl: Unfortunately (but very fortunately for me), I am self-employed, lol! That was at a monthly meeting I have with other self-employed colleagues.

I wish we all lived closer. I’d totally love a Nerd Games gift buffet! :smiley: Maybe I’ll ponder the logistics of such a thing online-style for next year!

5 Likes

Prompt: October Uncharted
Team: So cornfused
Project Name: Tiny blue felt stocking
Brief Description- I wanted to fancy up my little people cottage, so I made a tiny blue stocking with felt & embroidered holly
picture:

Prompt: December Hamish Macbeth
Project Name: Tiny red stocking
Brief Description- I made a tiny red stocking with an embroidered snowflake
picture: See Above

Prompt: November Avengers
Project Name: Tiny pink stocking
Brief Description- I made a tiny pink stocking with a felt and embroidered Christmas tree
picture: see above

Prompt: October Relic Hunter
Project Name: Crochet Bauble #1
Brief Description- Green, white, and red- antique looking crocheted over a glass bauble
picture:

Prompt: Cold as Ice
Project Name: Crochet Bauble #2
Brief Description- these baubles are something I’ve definitely been putting off for years. This one is pink, white, red, & light blue
picture:See above

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: Crochet Bauble #3
Brief Description- Blue, red, green, pink bauble - these are my house & Christmas colors & it is hard to find things in those colors, so I made one for me

Prompt: Give it away
Project Name: Crochet Bauble #4
Brief Description- This bauble will be a gift topper for one of the Christmas presents It is red, pink, blue, then red

Prompt: October Blood & Treasure
Project Name: Crochet Bauble #5
Brief Description- This crocheted bauble is multicolored in green, blue, red, & pink. I really loved making these & see myself making many more
picture:see above

5 Likes