Nerd Games - Spring 2024

Prompt: May Battle - Adage
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: 1D Song Bracelets
Project Link:
Brief Description: I went to a Harry Styles and One Direction themed event, and made a bunch of friendship bracelets to share with people. It was so fun. For the Battle, I think I’ll go with adage - they stick in my head like song lyrics. (Sorry all of the photos suck, I forgot to take pictures until one minute before I had to leave. :grimacing: )

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Birds of a Feather Flock Together / You Will Soon Meet a New Friend
Project Name: 1D Necklaces
Project Link:
Brief Description: I also made a couple necklaces for me and my friend.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - The Clothes Make the Man / You Will Soon Get an Unexpected Makeover
Project Name: 1D Album Bracelets
Project Link:
Brief Description: Several of these used recycled beads, and there’s green. They are all of the album titles - and the colors are the colors used on the album covers. :slight_smile:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Practice Makes Perfect / You Will Soon be Rewarded for Your Hard Work and Practice
Project Name: Harry Styles Song Bracelets
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’ve made beaded bracelets before!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss / You Will Soon be Presented a New Opportunity, Take It!
Project Name: Bag kit
Project Link:
Brief Description: A slight break from 1D to show this bag I made using a pre-cut kit. I’d never really done leather stitching before.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Stop and Smell the Roses / You Will Soon Have Some Restful Times, Make Good Use of It!
Project Name: 1D Bracelets
Project Link:
Brief Description: I obviously enjoyed making these. I worked on them for about seven hours the night before the show, and woke up two hours early the morning of to make some more!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: 1D Song Bracelets 2
Project Link:
Brief Description: And the last few bracelets.

Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: Fortune (May Battle)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Decorated pocket and card
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: When one of my favorite movies showed up in a puzzle I was doing, I couldn’t believe my good fortune. I knew I had to add it to my journal, so I stuck it to a library card that I colored in and decorated a pocket for it. (The pocket project…evolved and became the main element, but that’s crafting. :woman_shrugging:t2:)
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

I need to catch up on all the great projects, so many neat things posted! Where did May go?! It wasn’t April Showers here, it’s the May Showers that flooded us and our basement needs a LOT of work. Yay, Midwest Living… :smiley:

But lemme post my May crafts before the end of the day!

Prompt: April - Lettuce craft
Project Name: Mandala Potholder
Brief Description: We got a combo microwave/air fryer/oven, and my hubby wanted something smaller than the big oven gloves we had to pull the tray out of the microwave, and I had some questionable wool that was probably fashionable in the 90s when I bought it… but hey, it works? And it’s round!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Let’s taco 'bout crafts
Project Name: Blue Chenille Bunny
Brief Description: I do hate sewing amigurumi together, and this little bunny had a lot of parts! I also think the head is too small, but… hey, it’s done! Now what do I do with it?
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May Battle – Adage – Curiosity Killed the Cat
Project Name: Kitty Cube
Brief Description: I’m on a quest to use up some yarn I have, so this blue chenille was high on my list. After the disappointment of the too-small-headed bunny, this little kitty cube made me happy! The original pattern called for legs, but I decided against them.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Birds of a Feather Flock Together / You Will Soon Meet a New Friend
Project Name: Village Cotton C2C Washcloth 1
Project Link:
Brief Description: Multicolored! Village Cotton (Herrschner’s) C2C knitted washcloth. I got two out of this skein of yarn. One of them had more color pooling than the other, just the luck of the draw?
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Practice Makes Perfect / You Will Soon be Rewarded for Your Hard Work and Practice
Project Name: Big Twist Grey C2C Washcloth
Brief Description: I’ve made just a few of these before… I can’t say this Big Twist Yarn was my favorite, this is the second one I got out the skein and it used it up and I was glad to be rid of it. Will not buy that yarn again, honestly.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss / You Will Soon be Presented a New Opportunity, Take It!
Project Name: Mainstays Paw Print Washcloth
Brief Description: Grey! This is the second washcloth I got out of the Mainstays Grey, a paw print pattern one this time… I still really like this yarn. I just wish it came in more colors.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Stop and Smell the Roses / You Will Soon Have Some Restful Times, Make Good Use of It!
Project Name: Sugar N Cream White C2C Washcloth
Brief Description: I can’t stop knitting these C2C washcloths because they are so easy and relaxing! And I have TWO giant cones of this Sugar and Cream yarn, so… there will be more, I’m sure.
Project Photo(s):**

Prompt: Big Time 1
Project Name: Cotton Sprouts Washcloths
Brief Description: Used up the entire skein of this yarn (which was lovely to work with, would recommend!) on four washcloths. Each one takes about two hours to knit up, give or take!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Village Cotton C2C Washcloth 2
Brief Description: Part two of this skein of yarn!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: May Battle- Adage: A Stitch in Time Saves Nine

Project Name: Crochet Club Stitch Markers

Project Link: Stitch Markers for Crochet Club

Brief Description: I run a Crochet & Knit Club at the middle school I teach at, and all of the kids in it this year worked on crochet projects. Last year, I made them all pouches (Crochet Club Zipper Pouches). This year, since I had a few returning members, plus several additions, I decided to make them sets of crochet stitch markers. I made 10 sets in total and I put each set in a little drawstring bag that I decorated with a crochet-themed pin.

Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Big Time #1
Project Name: Mandala Yarn Crocheted Scarf
Project Link: Mandala Yarn Crocheted Scarf
Brief Description: During the Crochet Club I run at school, I needed a project to work on that I could easily put down when I needed to help one of the kids in the club. We received some donated yarn, and there was a cake of Mandala Yarn, so I figured I would use that so I didn’t have to worry about color changes. I also worked on it during our state testing. We’re not allowed to grade papers, read a book, work on the computer, etc. because we have to monitor the students. If I didn’t have something to keep me busy for 2.5-3 hours (X 4 days), I would go nuts, so I’ve started to work on simple crochet projects (I can walk around with a small project). I had been working on the scarf off and on during the year (in crochet club mostly), and one of my students asked what I was making. I said, “A scarf, but I don’t really love the colors.” She replied, “I like the colors!” So I told her, “You can have it when it’s finished!” I didn’t finish it in time for her to use it in the winter, and I wish I had made it a little narrower so it would have been a little longer for her, but she loved it anyway!

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Blonde (June)
Project Name: Friendship bracelets
Brief Description: I made these tonight at the library’s summer reading program kickoff party. Bracelets = jewelry = beauty related.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Faux-zzy Navel
Brief Description: There was also a make-your-own-mocktail station at the library party. I love a Fuzzy Navel (peach schnapps + OJ), so I mixed some Peach Bellini fizzy water with the OJ for a dry version.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

@megwell The bracelets are so cute and I love that the library had a “mocktail station” for the summer reading kickoff. I love the colours on that pocket!

@craftADDchick What a beautiful scarf; I love the colours. And the stitch markers and pin are such a nice touch for your students

@Smeddley I love all the washcloths, but I think the paw print is my favourite :paw_prints: I love crafts that are both beautiful and practical :heart: And I love that little bunny! I think the head is just the perfect size :rabbit: And the little kitty is adorable too :cat:

@LovelyMiss I love the bracelets and the necklaces, and they seem like the perfect gifts for the theme!

@roler that apple granny square is just too cool! Now if you make a green one, will you call it a “Granny Smith Apple” square? :joy: I love the flower and pinwheels one too, and the colours on that shawl :fire: :heart:

@Bunny1kenobi mmmm those snacks look so good. That book nook looks amazing!! I especially love the light effect. The ATCoins are pretty awesome. I think my favourite is the scatter sunshine one. I love the 3D effect.

1 Like

Prompt: …Walks into a bar…
Project Name: Mandioca Frita (Yucca or Manioc Fries)
Project Link: Mandioca Frita (Fried Cassava)
Brief Description: These delicious treats are meant to be consumed (and I did :yum:)
Project Photo(s):

mandioca frita

Prompt: How many… lightbulb
Project Name: Broiled Mushrooms
Project Link: "Broiled" mushrooms
Brief Description: This was made on an electric stove; therefore, it used electricity.
Project Photo(s):

d58ad3909974e74feb20e384bcc773c48d209f94_2_375x500

Prompt: A rolling stone gathers no moss
Project Name: First ever hardcover notebook
Project Link: Hardcover Notebook - #8 by EriChanHime
Brief Description: This is a new to me craft. I was able to do it thanks to @Edel’s video :heart:
*Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Practice Makes Perfect
Project Name: “Speedy the Mushroom” zine
Project Link: "Speedy the Snail" zine
Brief Description: I had made a tiny zine for the zine swap last year, and then I made another one for a homeschool event. Then I made this one as part of the “Invite your Partner Swap.” I made it in the last Nerd Games season, but my partner didn’t receive it until this one.
*Project Photo(s):

Prompt: You will soon get an unexpected makeover
Project Name: Yeti stuffy
Project Link: "Speedy the Snail" zine
Brief Description: I made this for the Ongoing Wish Swap. I had a pair of wool socks that I had never worn because they were too narrow for my feet. So I made this yeti with one of the socks.
Project Photo(s):

8b6c3652e85c4ae595d8163c8569befdc335a471_2_666x500

3 Likes

I’m a Speedy fan! And that yeti is adorable.

1 Like

Prompt: Blonde
Project Name: Homemade Mac 'n Cheese
Project Link: Homemade Mac & Cheese
Brief Description: The pasta in this dish is yellow, and so was the cheese I used to make the sauce :blush: :cheese:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Knock Knock
Project Name: Brigadeiros (Brazilian Chocolate Trufles)
Project Link: Brigadeiros (Brazilian chocolate trufles)
Brief Description: These delicious sweets are brown (under all the sprinkles). See original post for recipe.
*Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time Project
Project Name: Mini notebooks & boxes for party favours
Project Link:
Brief Description: I handmade twelve little boxes and mini notebooks for my daughter’s “fairy forest”-themed birthday party. It took forever, but it was worth it!
*Project Photo(s):

d6e4896f3d303c0955844b455443779d6878434d_2_375x500

5 Likes

Prompt: …walks into a bar (June)
Project Name: Colorful beverage ATC
Project Link: A Couple of May ATCs (May-TCs?)
Brief Description: This card (represents something that) can be consumed, is bubbly, etc.
Project Photo(s): Photo by curiousfae

Prompt: How many…lightbulb (June)
Project Name: Scrappy ATC
Project Link: A Couple of May ATCs (May-TCs?)
Brief Description: This card base has multiple parts in the form of fabric scraps.
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: April- Big Dill
Project Name: pink notecards
Project Link:
Brief Description: These were made for the Box of color swap. I used glue, which is a liquid. Ish.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May- smell the Roses
Project Name: 3 eyed cat notepad
Project Link:
Brief Description: I enjoy drawing. This one was especially fun.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May- Practice
Project Name: family ATC for Father’s Day
Project Link:
Brief Description: I do practice drawing quite a bit. My top lip looks huge here. I’ll keep practicing! :joy:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June Battle - one liners
Project Name: snarky x-stitch
Project Link:
Brief Description: This is definitely a one-liner!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May-Birds of a Feather
Project Name: flamingo bookmark
Project Link:
Brief Description: has feathers on the flamingos, is multi colored and was made for a friend!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: June - Knock Knock
Project Name: foxy magnet
Project Link:
Brief Description: For the home. :blush::+1: I actually made 3 of these. The other 2 will go in the STS.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June- Blonde
Project Name: angler fish x-stitch
Project Link:
Brief Description: This was made using long threads of floss
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: June- Lightbulb
Team: *Running with scissors
Project Name: Birthday bag
Project Link:
Brief Description: this bag/card has white accents
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: June- Slapstick
Project Name: D’s nuts
Project Link:
Brief Description: I needed a container for the nuts I snack on while working. I had a large cottage cheese container that I painted up for this. I think the label is fun AND silly: it could mean that I’m nuts, the nuts inside belong to me, or it could be the 12-yr old boy version…. :joy:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time #2
Project Name: Glinda’s office.
Project Link:
Brief Description: Made for the Box of Color swap. This was fun, and a lot of work since I made virtually every item in this tin, including the desk with the drawer which opens.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time #3
Project Name: TenTeaCles cards
Project Link:
Brief Description: Made these using collage. It was a LOT of careful cutting!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #1
Project Name: mini plate with cookies
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made both the plate and the cookies.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #2
Project Name: Discworld notepad
Project Link:
Brief Description: My swap partner had this quote on her Pinterest and I thought it was very appropriate for a To Do list.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Stop and Smell the Roses / You Will Soon Have Some Restful Times, Make Good Use of It! (May)
Project Name: Pasta with sausage and tomatoes
Brief Description: I make this kind of dish often enough that it makes cooking dinner relatively relaxing.
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

I love those ATCs, @megwell! I didn’t notice it was fabric on the second; that’s so cool! I want to try that technique sometime. It makes for such an interesting background.

@Bunny1kenobi Those postcards are so lovely! i really like the bicycle and the shape of the tab on the envelopes. And that embroidery… story of my life lol The bookmarks are awesome and I love it when paper bookmarks get laminated. So much more use out of them. That birthday bag is :fire: So cool! I love the lace and the colours go so well together. Your miniatures always amaze me. The drawer that opens is super cool. The teanteacles notecards made me laugh. I think my favourite is the one with the dasiies.

1 Like

Prompt: Birds of a Feather Flock Together
Project Name: “Where are you from?” zine—longer and better version
Project Link: "Where are you from?" Zine—Longer and better version
Brief Description: This zine is multi-coloured.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Slatpstick/physical comedy
Project Name: “May I help you?” buttons
Project Link: May I help you? Buttons
Brief Description: These buttons are something you wear.
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Apologies in advance for the forthcoming project dump…

Prompt: Lettuce Craft (April)
Project Name: Giza ATCoin
Project Link: A Walletful of ATCoins (pic heavy)
Brief Description: It round.
Project Photo(s):
20240430_185105

Prompt: Birds of a Feather Flock Together/You Will Soon Meet a New Friend (May)
Project Name: Grayscale ATCoin
Brief Description: This coin is multicolored (barely, but still :laughing:).
Project Photo(s):
20240430_185058

Prompt: The Clothes Make the Man/You Will Soon Get an Unexpected Makeover(May)
Project Name: Princess Bride ATCoins
Brief Description: The final product coin here has a lot of green. The others less so, but still green.
Project Photo(s):
20240430_184816

Prompt: Practice Makes Perfect/You Will Soon Be Rewarded for Your Hard Work and Practice (May)
Project Name: Write ATCoin
Brief Description: Ransom-style letters are something I’ve practiced before. In crafting only.
Project Photo(s):
20240603_120628

Prompt: Knock Knock (June)
Project Name: Typewriter ATCoin
Brief Description: This coin is mostly brown.
Project Photo(s):
20240430_184950

Prompt: Slapstick/Physical Comedy (June)
Project Name: Film ATCoin
Brief Description: This coin has a lot of pink.
Project Photo(s):
20240603_122000

Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Libraries ATCoin
Brief Description: Really chuffed with this coin; the focal point is a temporary tattoo! That I then sealed with packing tape for permanence.
Project Photo(s):
20240603_122010

Prompt: One-Liners (June Battle)
Project Name: Found poetry ATCoins
Brief Description: These found poetry coins each have one cobbled-together line from some book text.
Project Photo(s): Here’s one example; there are a couple of others in the project post. (Let me know if I need to post them all here – I was worried I was getting photo heavy :grimacing:)
20240430_185115

3 Likes

Prompt: Free Range 2
Project Name: Handmade papers
Brief Description: I made these at a library program. Some of them have flower seeds in the mix!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss/You Will Soon be Presented a New Opportunity, Take It! (May)
Project Name: Gel prints
Brief Description: I’ve always wanted to try gelli printing, so when I found out the library had a gelli plate I had to take advantage.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap 3
Project Name: Another quickie notecard
Brief Description: Just a couple of stickers and gel pens.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap 4
Project Name: Even more plant milestone markers
Brief Description: My spider plant turned 1 this month! Here are the month photo props for this season.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap 5
Project Name: Plant party hat
Brief Description: For the 12-month photo, I also made a party hat :laughing:. (Fun fact: the tassel is some trim from @LovelyMiss’s journal kit!)
Project Photo(s): You can see part of it in the previous photo, but here’s one of it on the birthday boy himself.

3 Likes

One more…
Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Gluebook
Project Link: Hey, Look -- It's a Gluebook!
Brief Description: I finally finished the gluebook I started at Thanksgiving. Between harvesting, fussy cutting, and gluing (okay, and overthinking layouts), it turned out to be quite the endeavor.
Project Photo(s): Lots of page photos in the project post

3 Likes