CLOSED - Nerd Games - Winter 2024

Prompt: February - The Frog Prince
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: G-Tube Pads
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’ve been meaning to make some new g-tube pads for a long time now and when I saw that the first week of February was Feeding Tube Awareness week (thanks to @LindyBlues Everyday Holidays craftalong), I decided it was time to finally get them made. When choosing my fabric, I came across some perfectly sized scraps that just so happened to be spotted.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Hercules
Project Name: G-Tube Pads - batch 2
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these with love for my little love, LittleBookLover.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - The Little Mermaid
Project Name: G-Tube Pads - batch 3
Project Link:
Brief Description: I used water soluble stabilizer and water soluble tape when making these. The last step of the process required using water to disintegrate the stabilizer and tape, leaving behind a finished pad, ready for use.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Battle - Disney
**Team Running with Scissors
Project Name: G-Tube Pads - batch 4
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’ve been looking for a way to simplify the g-tube pad making process for a long time and I finally discovered it! That’s what I call a happy ending :blush:.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Galentine’s card 4
Project Link: Added to the original Mixed Media Galentine’s Cards post
Brief Description: I ended up angeling for this swap, so I made one more card. Credit for the leafy embellishment to jemimah.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: Battle Disney
Team: knotty by nature
Project Name: Nom Nom Repair
Brief Description- our inflatable christmas chipmunk was attacked this year and sustained some tears. I mended the mouth that was torn open and reattached the hand to the acorn. this seems more disney than grimm
picture-

Prompt: Big Time 1
Project Name: January Temperature Blanket Square
Link: 2024 crochet temp blanket (in progress)
Brief Description- crocheted January temperature block
picture-

Prompt: February Frog Prince
Project Name: Strawberry Coasters
Brief Description- Crocheted Strawberry coasters
picture-

4 Likes

Project dump!

Prompt: February-Beauty and the Beast
Project Name: Valentine for my honey
Project Link:
Brief Description: This has red.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February- Hercules
Project Name: Dad’s bday card
Project Link:
Brief Description: This was given to a loved one. It has white on it as well.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February-Little Mermaid
Project Name: Bathmat
Project Link:
Brief Description: This might not need water but it’s water related. Plus the quilting is done in swirls.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time #1
Project Name: Galentines
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these for the Galentine swap. Each card took well over an hour to create.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time #2
Project Name: friendship bracelets
Project Link:
Brief Description: These were sent with the Galentines. No idea where all of my pics went… I made 6 for my partners and one for myself. They were each about 2 feet long so they could be wrapped if used as bracelets or they could be used as trims in other projects if my partners preferred that option. Each one took about 1.5 hours to make.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: February battle- Grimm
Project Name: Monster pillow
Project Link:
Brief Description: Don’t let his cuteness fool you. This guy is a ruthless slavering beast. :wink:
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Beauty and the Beast (February)
Project Name: Beet malls ATC
Project Link: Beet Malls and Bowling Balls: Swap ATCs
Brief Description: Duh, Beauty and the beets. Oh wait…
Beets are red(dish), and assembling this card was a bit beastly at points.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Hercules (February)
Project Name: Space ATC
Project Link: Beet Malls and Bowling Balls: Swap ATCs
Brief Description: This card was inspired by my love for Ed.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: February Battle - Grimm
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Blythe (Coffin) Skirt
Project Link: Blythe Doll Clothes
Brief Description: I’m making clothes for my (fakie) Blythe dolls. This submission is for the skirt, which I made with no pattern (well, I sketched a circle skirt outline to use). The fabric has coffin-shapes scattered on it and is black. Rather grim, and Grimm-eque.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Beauty and the Beast
Project Name: Blythe Corset
Brief Description: The second item in the above photo that I made is the corset. There’s more info the in the link. I would say it was BEASTLY to make (tiny tiny tiny hems) and is maybe beautiful, based on the eye of the beholder.

Project Photo(s):

See above.

Prompt: February - Frozen
Project Name: Blythe Jean jacket
Brief Description: This jean jacket nearly killed me. It took just under five hours. It’s cute, though. It’s a mix of machine and hand-stitched. I adapted the pattern to better fit the doll, and also decided at the last minute to add a turned collar with the seam allowance fabric (which is why it’s so small). It’s blue.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Hercules
Project Name: Blythe Skirt 2
Brief Description: I made the skirt in above as well, though it’s not the star of the photos because it turned out like blah. The back has a zipper. It was based on pattern that I shared in the link. The fabric is a heavy, thick twill I originally bought to make shawl wraps, but then scrapped because I cut out all of them THE WRONG SIZE. Oops. Anyway, the fabric is white and black.

Project Photo(s):

See above.

Prompt: February - The Little Mermaid
Project Name: Blythe Dress
Brief Description: A dress that sprung purely from the fabric. I didn’t use a pattern, just followed the swirly sequin design. There’s straps in the back that tie around the neck to hold the top part up.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - The Frog Prince
Project Name: Crocheted Blythe Dress
Brief Description: A crochet dress - it has green and I also hopped around on colors while making it! (It was variegated yarn that I chopped to get the colors to line up how I wanted).

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Blythe Belt
Brief Description: I made a belt. It’s just cord and a doll-sized belt buckle. Except there are three more belt buckles on the back that I rigged to hold it all together and still be positioned how I wanted it.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Blythe Cardigan
Brief Description: I also crocheted a cardigan. It’s basically just rectangles I sewed together. :smiley:

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: FEBRUARY - Beauty & The Beast
Project Name: “Window Wanderland - Display”
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: We have a community thing in our part of the city, the so called “Window Wanderland” - people who sign up decorate their windows for a weekend and keep their lights on so people can see the creativity. You walk around the houses who have signed up (or drive by car - they are usually very spread out).
We did our first one in 2022 - Ghost Busters themed, and this year it was Lord of The Rings.

There was no Wanderland in 2023. And I think my area of the city started this during Lockdown (2021 maybe?), at least we didn’t hear about it until 2021.

I made the 3 panels for our kitchen window all by myself, and then helped Doug and the twins to do the two Velux Windows (middle and top floor). They are beautiful (ok, beauty is in the eye of the beholder :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) and using very delicate sugar paper which rips easily!!

Project Photo(s): Photo will appear in a bit, need to open this post on my phone to do so. :roll_eyes:

Ok, my work (all by myself):

The full display is here, the whole family’s work…

And let’s see if I can find our display from 2022…

6 Likes

Prompt: February - Beauty and the Beast
Project Name: Let’s get quilting
Project Link: Let's Get Quilting sweatshirt
Brief Description: This project caused me to feel beastly frustration as the thread just kept breaking after every few stitches. Thankfully, I finally realized/remembered that I needed to replace the needle plate on my embroidery machine.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: January- wolf in sheep’s clothing
Project Name: Fox magnet
Project Link:
Brief Description: This has some white on it.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February- frog prince
Project Name: Tiny hedgehog
Project Link: Hedgie zipper pull? Purse charm?
Brief Description: This little hedgie has spots.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #3
Project Name: hair tie bracelets
Project Link:
Brief Description: These are meant to be worn as bracelets until the moment that you need a hair tie.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Big Time #2
Project Name: February Temperature Blanket Square
Link: https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/2024-crochet-temp-blanket-in-progress/28222
Brief Description: I quick finished my February block (used today’s forecasted temperature) I’m so afraid I will fall behind. We had a 74 degree day and a 20 degree high the next day - a bit more variety in this month’s square
picture-

4 Likes

I went into this month with such high hopes and a lot of motivation, encouraged by the various craftalongs we have on LC. And then, life threw something at me, not sure if it was the flu or covid or just a really bad cold, but it totally took the wind out of my sails. So I only manage to craft a tiny bit this month, and don’t have much to show for it.
But, here’s one bit of what I do have.
Prompt: February Battle - Disney
Project Name: Piggy Pendant
Project Link: Little Piggy Pendant
Brief Description:
A friend of mine who really likes pigs had a birthday, so I made her a little piggy beaded pendant. I went with Disney because this pendant is pretty cartoony and cute, and not at all dark.
(thanks to @Abbeeroad for setting up the zoom where I actually got this done)
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

That is too cute! My eyes couldn’t handle that. Why doesn’t it have its own thread? It deserves its own thread! It’s so precious.

3 Likes

Prompt: February Battle : Disney
Team:
Project Name: Crochet Succulents
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I recently switched buildings at work and left a plant in the old building with a friend… it did not fare well. While it’s not quite dead, it’s in plant ICU and I decided to Disney-fy the ending and made her an un-killable plant.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

I’m not sure if this will count, but it’s where my creative energy has been spent over the last several days. I understand if it doesn’t qualify, though :roll_eyes:

Prompt: February Battle- Disney
Team: Bits N Bobs
Project Name: Blacklight Dance
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: I run the Student Leadership Council at my school, and for over 10 years I’ve been trying to figure out how to pull off a Blacklight Dance. Today it finally happened! I was able to get lights on Temu (finding lights was the biggest challenge), and came up with a way to hang them (gaffer’s tape to the rescue). Beyond the lights, decorations were simply designs/images/shapes drawn/colored with highlighters on plain white paper. It took a squad of students and I an hour to get everything hung up (and only 30 minutes to take down and pack away). It had a very Disney vibe to it!

Project Photo(s):

I only have 1 photo I can post because the rest have students in them.

6 Likes

Prompt: Knock on Wood (March)
Project Name: Eco-dyed pillowcase
Project Link: Eco-Dyed Pillowcase
Brief Description: So much hammering.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Throw Salt over Your Shoulder (March)
Project Name: Scrappy masterboard
Brief Description: I made this with bits of paper from other projects.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Lucky Penny (March)
Project Name: Makers journal page
Brief Description: Except for scissors, everything I used on this page came from someone else (including @LovelyMiss’s journal kit :grin:), which is a pretty cost-effective way to craft.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time 1
Project Name: ICAD base project
Brief Description: I’m looking to do Index Card a Day this year, so I used the February Thing-a-Day craftalong as a way to give myself a head start. I prepped 61 cards by gluing down magazine images as a base layer.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Brace yourselves for mammoth posts… finally catching up on things :heart:

@gozer, I love your ribbon cards! So pretty :heart: I like how the hearts stand out against the background, but also complement the background colours really well. I also think you did an excellent job with the origami bookmarks. They’re beautiful! And I love the idea to photocopy your drawing for people to colour in. So fun! The drawing is also too cute :heart: :cookie: :milk_glass: :heart:

@megwell I love the text background on the tiny zine :blush: The envelopes with the flowers—so pretty! I especially like the rose one at the forefront; the placement is great! The ATC with the leafy embellishment is so nice! I really like how the embellishment “pops up” against the rest of the card, and the “bubbles” (for lack of a better term) bring attention to the center piece in the card. Really lovely! I remember seeing that ATC in the ATC gallery and I thought it was such a creative interpretation of the prompt(s). I love the clouds, but my favourite part of the card may be the name of the store in the middle, lol! The bowling ball card is really cool, too. I especially love the colours.

@AudiobookLover I love that the red pads remind me of ladybugs, such a fun pattern, and such a useful project. Oh, that sounds frustrating about the sweatshirt-making, but you persevered, and it looks great!

@ezrib Nice work mending the inflatable; it’s always nice to be able to reuse something by taking the time to make repairs. I love the colours on the crochet block! The strawberry coasters! So cute!!!

@Bunny1kenobi I love your lettering on your Valentine! Beautiful! And the heart hanging from the word “you”—lovely illustration to go with the poem. The Daaaad! card made me chuckle, lol! And the license plate!!! Too funny! The bath mat looks great! And it’s super useful, too! Although it may not “need” water, it exists because of water, so… perhaps it does need it after all, lol! The Galentine cards! I love the little hearts pouring out of the teapots. So cute :heart: :teapot: :heart: I also love that you made friendship bracelets for your swap partners, and the colours are great! The little monster is just too cute :heart: Oh, the little fox magnet! It’s sooo cute :heart: :fox: :heart: And the little hedgehog, too… so much cuteness in a single post :blush:

The hair tie bracelets are such a smart idea! I wonder if my girls would lose fewer hair elastics if I did something like this, lol!

@LovelyMiss cool doll skirt and corset! I’d wear that corset if it came in person-size! The jacket is super adorable and really impressive. I admire your patience, in addition to your sewing skills! :heart: And the dress! Wow; no pattern! That’s pretty awesome. I love the crocheted outfits, too.

@Inselaeffchen Wow; that window dispaly is really impressive! (both years!). I love the idea of doing displays for people to come by and admire as a way to build community. Our city did something similar during lockdown as well, but no one continued after. Perhaps it’s time to try and get people to do similar things in my area again.

7 Likes

Prompt: March Battle-Luck
Project Name: Steampunk hat
Project Link: I finally made my steampunk costume!
Brief Description: This has a lovely green ribbon and pouf on the back, and was worn at the Renaissance Festival on St Patrick’s weekend, for a little “luck o’ the Irish.”
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March- knock on wood
Project Name: pink and wood jewelry
Project Link: Jewelry and more jewelry
Brief Description: This has lots of wooden beads, some of which are pink, but many of which are brown.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March- salt over the shoulder
Project Name: key necklace
Brief Description: This has lots of smaller bits.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March- don’t walk under a ladder
Project Name: floral triptych
Project Link: Floral triptych
Brief Description: This involved many steps, is for the home, and is brightly painted.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #4
Project Name: earrings for AIMR
Brief Description: LOTS of fun earrings to go with the necklaces I sent her…. Or not! :grin:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time #3
Project Name: steampunk skirt and bustle
Project Link: I finally made my steampunk costume!
Brief Description: A match for my steampunk hat! And I had to adjust the pattern to fit me, so this took even longer than normal. But not long enough to be a research project.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

@thanat the piggie pendant is so cute :heart: :pig: :heart:

@Smeddley I love your interpreation of the prompt for “disney’fying” the plant’s ending… and I hope the inspiration for it makes it out of the ICU :heart: :potted_plant: :heart:

@craftADDchick What a fun idea for a dance for the students! I bet they loved it!

@megwell, I visited the post for the eco-dyed pillowcase; what an interesting technique! I hadn’t heard of it before. I love all the colours on that masterboard! I need to get going to do something like this to use up the bits of paper I keep generating with my envelope-making. I hadn’t heard of the “index-card-a-day” before, so your post lead me down a research rabbit hole. I love the idea!

@Bunny1kenobi that hat!!! swoon I love the necklace with the wooden beads, too! And the key necklace is such a creative use of various different beautiful items. Such a unique gift. You look awesome in your costume!

2 Likes

Prompt: The Peacock
Project Name: Peacock ATC
Project Link: Peacock ATC
Brief Description: Peacocks seem ostentatious… plus the subject of the card matches the title of the prompt, lol.
Project Photo(s):

e3c1415c8dddda4eb0ca0d0c8336f796bc75ac63_2_375x500

Prompt: The Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing
Project Name: Care Package for friend
Project Link: Care Package for Friend
Brief Description: I decorated an old Amazon box to hide the Amazon branding and to make the box pretty for a friend. Also, the box itself hides the contents inside.
Project Photo(s):

Care package 1

Care package 2

Care package 3

4 Likes