Everyday Holidays Craftalong February 2024

Photo by Pineapple Supply Co. on Unsplash

Welcome to the Everyday Holidays Craftalong for February 2024.

Everyday Holidays are a way to add some joy to your life and learn something new everyday. Please note that there are also observations and commemorations in the mix, because all emotions are valid.

What is this craftalong?

The “Everyday Holidays” craftalong is a way to find inspiration for your crafting. You can use the topics as prompts for your artsy explorations, or simply to learn something new.

How do I participate?

The whole concept of “Everyday Holidays” can get overwhelming, because there are so many of them. So don’t feel like you have to do something every day. Instead, use the prompts that speak to you and go from there.

Please note that you can post about any holiday on any day within that month (e.g. you don’t have to “celebrate” holidays on the “appropriate” day. It’s perfectly fine to make something for a holiday that happens on the 10th of a month on the 27th of a month (or any other day).

The “Rules”

“Rules” is in quotation marks because this is meant to be a laid-back, no pressure, just post when and how you feel like it kind of craftalong.

Having said that, as with every other craftalong, all community guidelines apply.

Important note: You don’t need to do something on the actual day of the holiday. You can celebrate/create something for a holiday that happens on the 1st of the month on the last day of the month, or any other day. As long as it’s within that month, it’s valid :heart:.

When posting, please mention what holiday the post is for (just the title is fine, no need to include the date), and tell us a little bit about how you made your craft. Simple as that.

You are allowed and encouraged to post the same projects here that you have posted elsewhere on the site, whether as their own posts or for other craftalongs.

Also, you’re encouraged to post about celebrating the holidays even if you didn’t make anything (e.g. it’s OK to share that you’ve watched a movie for a certain day).

The Points

We’re keeping things simple for this craftalong. You get 1 point for every project post you make on this thread. So please post each project on its own reply (rather than grouping them), so it’s easier for me to count. Thanks!

This scoring system will be revised eventually, but for now this is the commitment level I can do.

The Prize

Every one who has posted at least 3 projects in this thread and commented on at least 3 projects by other people by the last day of the month will be entered into a random draw for a 4x6 art piece by yours truly. It’s not much, but I hope it encourages you (and me) to create.

The Holidays

If you would like to see a spreadsheet for holidays for the entire year, you can see the shared Google Sheet.

Monthly Observances in February

• Bake for Family Fun Month
  • Bird Feeding Month
  • Black History Month
  • Cancer Prevention Month
  • Canned Food Month
  • Cherry Month
  • Children’s Dental Health Month
  • Creative Romance Month
  • Embroidery Month
  • Fasting February
  • Free and Open Source Software Month
  • Grapefruit Month
  • Heart Month (heart disease prevention)
  • Hot Breakfast Month
  • Library Lover’s Month
  • Snack Food Month
  • Self-Check Month
  • Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month
  • Wedding Month

Weekly Celebrations in February

Feb 1-7

• African Heritage and Health Week
  • Patient Recognition Week

First Week
World Interfaith Harmony Week

First Full Week

• Burn Awareness Week
  • School Counselling Week
  • Feeding Tube Awareness Week
  • International Networking Week

First Full Work Week
Pride in Food Service Week

Feb 4-10
Boy Scout Anniversary Wweek

Feb 7-14

• Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week
  • Marriage Week
  • Have a Heart for Chained Dogs Week

Second Week

• Kraut and Frankfurter Week
  • Freelance Writers Appreciation Week
  • Second Hand Wardrobe Week (this may be a great time to check out the 2023 Sustainable mend and maintain-along :recycle: to repair those great hand-me-down or second-hand store pieces that just need a little tweaking to get a new life).

Week of Valentine’s Day
Children of Alcoholics Week

Week of Feb 17

• Take your family to school week
  • Random Acts of Kindness Week

Feb 14-21
Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia Care Staff Education Week

Beginning Friday the week or weekend of Valentine’s Day
Great Backyard Bird Count

Third Week in Feb
Brotherhood/sisterhood week (interfaith)

Week of George Washington’s Birthday (Feb 22)
Engineers Week

Begins last Monday in February
Invasive Species Awareness Week

Daily Observations in February

First Thursday Optimist Day
First Friday Wear Red Day (awareness about heart disease in women)

Bubble Gum Day

Stand Up to Bullying Day (third Friday in November and first Friday in February)
First Saturday Play Outside Day

Ice Cream for Breakfast Day
Second Monday Clean Out Your Computer Day

International Epilepsy Day
Second Thursday Giving Hearts Day (donate to your favourite charity)
Second Saturday Global Movie Day

:tada: :tada: :tada:

1 World Aspergillosis Day (fungal disease)

Baked Alaska Day (dessert)

Dark Chocolate Day

Freedom Day (freedom from slavery)

Get Up Day (opportunity to share inspiring stories of perseverance)

Serpent Day

Texas Day

Read Aloud Day
2 World Play Your Ukulele Day

World Wetlands Day

World Read Aloud Day

Heavenly Hash Day

Tater Tot Day

Groundhog Day
3 Four Chaplains Day (honors military chaplains from World War II who sacrificed their lives for fellow service members).

Carrot Cake Day

Day the Music Died Day (remembering the deaths of singers Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P. Richardson)

Missing Persons Day

Women Physicians Day

4 World Cancer Day

International Day of Human Fraternity

Create a Vacuum Day

Hemp Day

Homemade Soup Day

Thank a Mail Carrier Day
5 World Nutella Day

World Pisco Sour Day (national drink of Peru)

Shower with a Friend Day

Weatherperson’s Day

Nutella Day
6 International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation

Chopsticks Day

Frozen Yogurt Day

7 Fettuccine Alfredo Day

Periodic Table Day

Send a Card to a Friend Day
8 Boy Scouts Day

Iowa Day

Kite Flying Day
9 Bagel and Lox Day

Cut the Cord Day (break free from expensive cable bills)

Pizza Day

Toothache Day (importance of dental care)
10 Plimsoll Day (Samuel Plimsoll, Englishman credited with making ships safer)

World Pulses Day

Cream Cheese Brownie Day

Home Warranty Day

Umbrella Day
11 International Day of Women and Girls in Science

World Day of the Sick

Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk Day

Inventor’s Day

Make a Friend Day

Peppermint Patty Day

Shut-In Visitation Day

White Shirt Day (commemorating the day a historic auto worker strike resolved on Feb. 11th, 1937)
12 Red Hand Day (stop the use of child soldiers)

Plum Pudding Day
13 World Radio Day

Galentine’s Day

Cheddar Day

Tortellini Day
14 International Book Giving Day

International Epilepsy Day

Cream-Filled Chocolates Day

Ferris Wheel Day

Organ Donor Day

Valentine’s Day

15 National Flag of Canada Day

World Hippo Day

International Childhood Cancer Day

International Angelman Day (syndrome)

Gumdrop Day

Wisconsin Day

Singles Awareness Day
16 Almond Day

Do a Grouch a Favor Day
17 World Anthropology Day

Cabbage Day

Random Acts of Kindness Day
18 Pluto Day

Battery Day

Drink Wine Day

19 Arabian Horse Day

Chocolate Mint Day

Lash Day

Vet Girls RISE Day
20 World Day of Social Justice

Cherry Pie Day

Comfy Day

Leadership Day

Love Your Pet Day

Muffin Day
21 International Mother Language Day

Grain-Free Day

Sticky Bun Day
22 World Day of Social Justice

California Day

Cook a Sweet Potato Day

Margarita Day

Supermarket Employee Day
23 Banana Bread Day

Dog Biscuit Day

Tile Day
24 World Bartender Day

Tortilla Chip Day
25 Chocolate Covered Nut Day

Clam Chowder Day
26 Letter to Our Elders Day

Pistachio Day

Set a Good Example Day

Tell a Fairy Tale Day
27 Anosmia Awareness Day

International Polar Bear Day

Protein Day

World NGO Day

Kahlua Day

Polar Bear Day

Retro Day

Strawberry Day
28 International Repetitive Strain Injury Awareness Day

Chocolate Souffle Day

Floral Design Day

Public Sleeping Day

Tooth Fairy Day
29 Time Refund Day
6 Likes

Resources and Ideas for February Celebrations

Please note the following:

1. I have collected the links below over the course of a number of years, so some links may be broken. If you find a broken link, please let me know.

2. Unless otherwise specified, I have no affiliation with any of these links, other than “I think this is interesting and/or helpful.” On rare occasions, I may add a link to one of my blogs if the topic is relevant, but I will always identify this. If this is an issue, please let me know, and I’ll remove these links.

3. There won’t necessarily be resources/ideas for every single day, but I may add more if I continue this craftalong each year.

Without further ado, here are the resources, and some ideas on how to mark the days.

Snack Month

121 Best Healthy Snack Ideas, blog post from Snack Nation blog
:tada:
Ideas

• Try making protein bars
  • Plan a few hours to prepare snacks that you can pull out of the fridge on busy days
  • Look through the Food & Drink category on Lettuce Craft and re-create another crafter’s snack recipe

Library Lovers’ Month

Ideas

• Visit your local library’s website and see if they have any art programming for adults. If they don’t, see if there’s a way for you to suggest one!

Free and Open Source Software Month

Ideas

Search for open source art programs and start learning how to use one, if you don’t already.

Creative Romance Month

For couples with Kids:

For Singles

Secondhand Wardrobe Week

Ideas:

• Visit your local thrift store and see if there are any pieces that you can give new life to, whether by modifying them for a great fit, or by upcycling into something new.

• Go shopping in your own closet! See if there any pieces you haven’t worn in a while, and whether you can turn them into something new.

• Host a “clothing swap” in your neighbourhood.

Burn Awareness Week

Ideas

Review your kitchen for burn prevention safety before your next creative cooking project.

Global Movie Day (second Saturday in February)

Ideas:

• Watch your favourite movie. Wait, that’s not an act of creation… but creating a new seasoning for the popcorn you’ll eat is!

• Create a tiny painting inspired by your favourite movie. Here’s some great inspiration, by one of our own Lettuce Crafters (I hope it’s OK to share!)

• Start making a Cosplay costume for a character in a movie you like. If you start now, you’ll have plenty of time to finish before Halloween!

:book: Read Aloud Day (Feb 1st)

Idea: Read a picture book aloud and create different voices for each character

:alarm_clock: Groundhog Day (Feb 2nd)

Ideas

• Make artwork about the weather, whether you love or hate “6 more weeks of winter”
  • Make a groundhog puppet
  • Create a plan for keeping the groundhogs out of your vegetable garden in the spring (is it just my backyard?)

:carrot: :cake: Carrot Cake Day (Feb. 3rd)

The Best Carrot Cake Recipe according to Gimme Some Oven

Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe from Loving It Vegan

Gluten-Free Carrot Cake recipe from Well Plated by Erin

• Make some carrot cake
  • Draw a slice of carrot cake and make a card encouraging someone: “you made it look like a piece of cake!”

:bowl_with_spoon: Homemade Soup Day (Feb 4th)

50 Soup Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes (article from Taste of Home with links to 50 recipes)

Please note this is from my own blog: Red Lentil Soup: A Delicious Vegan Soup Even Veggie Snobs Will Love

Ideas

• Search Lettuce Craft’s Food Categories for soup and try one of the recipes!
  • Make your favourite soup
  • Try a different twist on an old soup favourite (change the spices, add something, replace an ingredient)
  • Make a giant batch of soup and place individual containers in the freezer for those days when you just don’t feel like cooking. If you put them in “single serving” containers, you should be able to defrost them fairly quickly in the microwave or stovetop.

:heart: Wear Red Day—Women’s Heart Disease Prevention (Feb. 5th)

Heart disease in women: Understand symptoms and risk factors (article from Mayo Clinic)

Ideas

• Draw an anatomical heart
  • Create an awareness poster for women’s heart disease. Optionally, share with your local women’s organizations
  • Make something red to wear
  • Create a short video about women’s heart disease prevention and share it on social media
  • Knit red hats to donate to women’s shelters, hospitals, or heart clinics

:umbrella: : World Wetlands Day (Feb. 5th)

Ideas

• Make a wetlands model

• Draw wetland birds

• Draw a wetlands scene

:clap: Pay a Compliment Day (Feb 6th)

Ideas

• Check out the Positive Affirmations swap - GALLERY! for ideas on how to encourage others with affirmations (many of which can be compliments!)

• Make a card to give a compliment to someone you love

• Embroider a bookmark with a compliment and give it to someone you love (that includes yourself!)

:test_tube: Periodic Table Day (Feb. 7th)

Ideas

• Find a picture of the periodic table. Vinyl transfer it, along with the saying “I wear this shirt periodically” onto a t-shirt (I saw a shirt like this once and thought it was hilarious

• Print out a black and white period table and colour it in

• Embroider your favourite element onto a tea towel

• Create a visual representation of some of the elements, in whichever way you think is beautiful, useful, witty, or all of the above

:computer: Clean Out Your Computer Day (Feb. 8th)

Ideas

• Go through your computer files and delete duplicate photos. While you’re at it, BACK UP YOUR PHOTOS AND ARTWORK

• BACK UP YOUR PHOTOS AND ARTWORK

Not speaking from experience or anything… whistles innocently

:pizza: Pizza Day (Feb. 9th)

Ideas

• Make pizza from scratch! No time? No problem. Get some tortillas, pre-shredded cheese, tomato paste or olive oil, your favourite pre-cut veggies and/or meat, put them all together and microwave or bake and bam! Mini pizzas.

• Share your favourite pizza recipe on Lettuce Craft

• Create a new pizza

• Draw a pizza slice and make a card for someone you love. If you really love them, also include a gift card to a local pizza shop :joy: I’m only half-kidding

:beans: Pulses Day (Feb. 10th)

Ideas

• Make your favourite bean or lentil dish

• Try making a vegan alfredo sauce by combining blended white beans with your favourite spices

• Make a musical shaker by placing some dried beans or lentils in an empty pringles container and replacing the lid

:wave: Make a Friend Day (Feb. 11th)

Ideas

• Say hello to someone you see daily but haven’t greeted before

• Offer help to an acquaintance you know is having a hard time

• Consider joining the Happy Mail Craftalong 2024—penpals often become friends for life :heart:

:custard: Plum Pudding Day (Feb 12th)

:girl: :girl: Galentine’s Day (Feb. 13th)

Ideas

• Send a card or other happy mail to a good friend. Check out the GALentine’s GALlery! for inspiration.

• Leave a little note of encouragement where a friend might find it.

• See links above for more ideas.

:books: International Book Giving Day (Feb. 14th)

Please note: Please research the quality of any charity before making donations.

Ideas

• Research book/literacy charities in your region and see if there is any way your crafting might help promote it. For example, you might make a poster to advertise the charity’s services, or create a craft to sell for fundraising purposes.

:hippopotamus: World Hippo Day (Feb. 15th)

Ideas

• Crochet or knit a “house hippo.” You can use this adorable Tiny Hippo by @geekgirl for inspiration :hippopotamus:

• Find miniature hippos and prank a housemate or family member by hiding them around the house

• Create a short video about not believing everything you see in the media

• Create a poster or infographic on how to tell fact from fiction in media

:angry: Do a Grouch a Favour Day (Feb. 16th)

Ideas

• Make a card or write a letter to the grouch in your life

• If you’re feeling grouch, engage in an art and/or craft that fulfills you and recharges you

• Crochet or knit Oscar the Grouch

• Make an Oscar the Grouch-inspired ATC

:leafy_green: Cabbage Day (Feb. 17th)

Ideas

• Make cabbage soup

• Make coleslaw

• Make a salad featuring cabbage

• Attempt to make sauerkraut or pickled cabbage

• Create a felt salad feature cabbage

• Create a witty greeting card or ATC changing “Lettuce” Craft to “Cabbage” Craft for the day

:book: World Anthropology Day (Feb. 18th)

• Research a culture that is new to you but old to the world, and create a craft based on it.

• Create a painting based on new discoveries in anthropology

:knot: International Tug of War Day (Feb 19th)

Ideas

• Make a rope-inspired craft

• Draw or paint a tug of war game

:cat: :dog: :fish: :parrot: Love Your Pet Day (Feb 20th)

Ideas

• Make a homemade treat for your pet (ensure you find a safe recipe)

• Make a costume for your pet (if they’re willing to wear one)

• Embroider, paint, or draw a portrait of your pet or the pet of someone you love

stay tuned, I’ll add more ideas for the rest of the days soon.

4 Likes

Reserved for March link

Dannnnng! You should get a point just for assembling these lists! Ooof!

Every Sunday, I get an email with a list of these kinds of holidays for the upcoming week and sometimes one will inspire TheMisterT to make a meal based on one of them or me a dessert. I’ll post when/if we do!

7 Likes

Thank you :heart:

I had pre-assembled these lists for a different site that I no longer participate in for various reasons.

It does take some work to adapt the spreadsheets for posting here, but I enjoy the process :heart:

4 Likes

Happy Groundhog Day!

For groundhog day, my husband and I are having a movie date night at home and watching… Groundhog Day!

I may or may not try to draw a groundhog later. We shall see :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My husband and I also plan to watch that movie this evening. It’s one of my favorites.

1 Like

:tada: Happy Periodic Table Day! :test_tube:

As I will be doing periodically, (pun completely intended), I have added more resources and ideas for our celebrations.

I’ve added these until February 10th. I’ll return soon to add more.

Today is also send a card to a friend day… the perfect day to finish off those ATCs for January’s swap or to start working on February ones :slight_smile:

5 Likes

:pizza: Happy Pizza Day!

Today’s a great day to indulge in cheesy goodness. You could just order some pizza and take a break from all the cooking, or you could try to make your own and use a pasta sauce recipe that’s been shared on Lettuce Craft before, like this pizza sauce from @geekgirl, or this one shared by @lovelymiss.

You could try a pizza craft, inspired by this felt “pizza party” shared by @AIMR, or admire this adorable short order pizza cook by @Harlan.

And if you love pizza but can’t have cheese, this thread has some great discussion about potential substitutions.

What do you think of sharing previous links like this as suggestions for celebrations? Is it OK to share them?

Thank you for any input!

6 Likes

SO nice that Pizza Day is Friday, because TheMisterT makes pizza every Friday. Not sure exactly what he has going to tonight’s dinner, but I know I bought fresh okra for it at the store yesterday.

I love the idea that you shared links to other posts on the site!

5 Likes

Thank you for including my short order pizza cook!! He will be pleased!!
I think it is fun to share pervious projects! We’re a pretty prolific group so it is easy to sort of forget about what’s gone before. This is a great way to refresh people’s memory and enjoyment! :smiley:

2 Likes

Yay! I’m so glad you like the inclusion of links for previous projects! It’s a great way for me to explore the site more, too :two_hearts:

1 Like

For Library Lovers Month, I have been sharing library haul videos on TikTok. The hauls include books of various sorts, some of which are for marking Black History Month. :heart:

For Freedom to Read Week, I’ve started reading Lolita… I’m not sure I’ll ever finish it… :grimacing:

2 Likes

About to have some pizza on pizza day!
:pizza:

2 Likes

We had pizza for dinner yesterday in honor of the holiday! :wink:

2 Likes

Happy Pulses Day!

How about making some delicious food to celebrate? Here are just some recipes for inspiration:

Beans, Beans, the Magical Fruit…

Tarragon and bean stew (vegan) by @Annchen

Refried Beans by @geekgirl

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burgers by @megwell

Lemon and Herb White Bean Spread by @MistressJennie

Lentils, Lentils, Lentils

Not feeling the beans? How about trying some lentil recipes instead?

This delicious red lentil soup by yours truly is always a success at our house. It also happens to be vegan.

Here’s another vegan recipe—Mediterranean Red Lentil Soup by @MistressJennie

Need more meat than just pulses in your life? Try this Lentil Chicken Curry Soup by @LaughingCat.

:tada: Today is also:

• Plimsoll Day (Samuel Plimsoll, Englishman credited with making ships safer)

• Cream Cheese Brownie Day

• Home Warranty Day

• Umbrella Day

Happy celebrating!

4 Likes

I have added more resources and ideas all the way to February 20th.

I hope to see some of your creations this month :heart:

Here are the feeding tube pads I made for Feeding Tube Awareness week.

8 Likes

Those are great!! Very cheerful!!

My husband had a feeding tube for some while when he was in the hospital that I eventually designed and made harness (for lack of a better word) to hold it in place and with less discomfort to his nose. Nurses thought I should have patented it.
Eventually my husband got fed up with the whole thing and asked to just let him drink the stuff (which he could manage).

5 Likes

Beautiful, useful, and thoughtful. These are great :heart:.

For creative romance month, I’ve decided to have a living room picnic with my husband. I’m going to surprise him with a bottle of wine and these:

If they turn out, I’ll share the recipe on the main site later :heart: :strawberry: :chocolate_bar: :heart:

5 Likes