CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name: Hygge Holiday Throw
Brief Description: I finished my advanced studies project! When I got to the end of the pattern, it called for a single border of mulberry, but I had 1.5 skeins of purple, and 1.75 of mulberry left, so I decided to add to the border in an effort to use up as much of the yarn as possible. I had just enough mulberry for the tassels, but not the ties on the tassels, so I did those with some of the leftover purple for contrast, and love how they look.
Project Picture:

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Noro Shawl Good Cardigan
House: Gryffindor!
Brief Description: I was given a gift certificate to Webs (online yarn store) by the amazing @pottermouth, and decided to use it for something indulgent. Some awesome yarn from Noro. Itā€™s Noro Nishiki, in color Aurora. Iā€™m going to transfigure it into the the Itā€™s Shawl Good Cardigan.

4 Likes

:zap::sun_behind_small_cloud::trophy: Summer Quidditch Reminder! :trophy::sun_behind_small_cloud::zap:

This FINAL round of summer Quidditch ends on Sunday, September 20th! Be sure to get any last minute projects in before then.

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

You guys! I havenā€™t been able to get in here for over a month and you all have done a FANTASTIC job at everything!! Seriously! All the food items made me just salivate - good job!
I got a new job and itā€™s had me working 60 hours a week but thatā€™s about to calm down to 40 so I will for sure have more time for crafting. I did do the Vintage Halloween swap which I will post what I made probably this weekend.
I will be checking out the new HP swap polls now!

2 Likes

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Crochet Sampler Wall Hanging
House: :heart: Gryffindor :yellow_heart:
Brief Description: I propose to learn a lot of new crochet stitches and create a wall hanging sampler. I will be following a course on CreativeBug by Twinky Chan.

@Abbeeroad

1 Like

Project dump alert :wink:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy - Something inspired by upcoming trends
House: :lion: Gryffindor :lion:
Project Name & Page Link: Keto Pumpkin Bread - link to recipe
Brief Description: Although we are coming into Spring, not Autumn, in Australia - I love to jump on board the pumpkin wagon of the Northern Hemisphere at this time of year. For the first time I made this Keto Pumpkin Bread and ohhhhh boy it is delicious. I even made my own pumpkin pie spice blend and it was so good :smiley:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy - Something with a ā€œstingā€ to it
Project Name & Page Link: Keto White Chili Chicken - Recipe can be found here
Brief Description: The sting for this chili came to my mouth :grimacing: Thank goodness it actually turned out milder the next day as leftovers. Iā€™ve since learned from comments on my post that I should look for canned Aneheim chilis, rather than Serrano :stuck_out_tongue: (I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever eaten anything spicier!)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms - Something to beautify your home
Project Name & Page Link: OWS Round 1 Discussion/Gallery
Brief Description: A bunting for @jillybeans to beautify her Home School room :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies - Something with 3 layers
Project Name & Page Link: OWS Round 1 Discussion/Gallery
Brief Description: I created this bunting for @Kwality570 in the August OWS Round 1 Swap. Now that she has received I will post a pic here :slight_smile:
Iā€™m not exactly sure why, but I always make my bunting with three layers, front fabric, interfacing and backing fabric. I really enjoy making these, so I was happy to see it on someoneā€™s wishlist. I had fun raiding my stash for pretty yellows to match her craft room :yellow_circle: :yellow_heart: :yellow_square:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Flower Themed Flip Book
Brief Description: I made this flip book completely from stash materials which was so much fun! Iā€™m really trying to not ā€˜saveā€™ so muchā€¦ and get joy from using it and gifting it.
Project Picture: Hereā€™s just a pageā€¦Lots more pictures can be seen if you click on page link

2 Likes

Ok peeps, I have a real life Harry Potter dilemma.

Every since I was younger I chose Gryffindor to be my house, I have all the gear, scarf, patch, you name it.

When Pottermore came out years ago I refused to join because I didnā€™t want to be sorted into another house (because I had a rather sneaking suspicion that I most certainly would be).

However, as Iā€™ve gotten older I realised that I actually am a Ravenclaw. I think I knew it from early on but was in denial. I wanted to be with the cool kids gang.

I finally did the Wizarding World passport ā€¦ and it proved to be true. I am in fact a Ravenclaw.

:scream: What am I to do? What would you do?

I totally realise that there are real dramas happening in the world, but if thereā€™s anyone I can talk to about this itā€™s you all :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I donā€™t see why you canā€™t embrace both. Thereā€™s plenty of people who feel torn between Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw, and they coined the term Ravenpuff or somethingā€¦
You can be a Griffinclaw, or a Ravendor. :laughing:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve so been there. Always thought I was a Ravenclaw because I love reading and wisdom, the test even put me in Ravenclaw so clearly I was where I was supposed to be, with a lot of Hufflepuff in the mix as well. Or so I thought. I always had a strange feeling about Ranvenclaw, but it was the house that fit me the best so I chose to ignore it. About 1.5 years ago I tried to get to know myself and slowly realised Iā€™m a Slytherin, and not a Ravenclaw.
I realised that the craving for knowledge, exploring and growing as a person is just as much a Slytherin trait, Iā€™m ambitious and resourceful, and a great leader when I take charge. I took the test a second time with answers more like the kind of person I am and not how I want to be, and it put me in Slytherin.

Worrying about a fictional thing like this might sound silly for some people, but for me it was a lot about realising who I was as a person and accepting that person. Just like you wanted to be in one house I didnā€™t want to be in another because I thought ambitions were ā€œbadā€ considering the examples we had, and so I never considered that house. But it feels like Iā€™m in the right house now, so Iā€™m a proud Slythering with a lot of Hufflepuff.

Everyone has traits from all the houses, which is why it can be difficult to pick only one house, but itā€™s fun to do it.

If you really donā€™t want to switch house then just donā€™t do it, not before you might feel comfortable about the change. And if you do switch then at least itā€™s just in time as the term is ending soon and so switching wonā€™t be a problem, as I did it the same time last year :slight_smile:

I would love to hear from others who might have had similar experiences.

3 Likes

Yep - same, but in reverse. I was actually a Ravenclaw for my first few rounds of the HPC. And then I later realized it wasnā€™t quite the right fit for me, and now Iā€™m a Gryffindor. Lately Iā€™ve been thinking Iā€™m also quite Puffy. :wink:

I think we are ALL combinations of ALL the houses. We contain multitudes that cannot be contained by one defining characteristic.

The thing about the HP houses is that itā€™s totally YOUR CHOICE where you go. Even the sorting hat takes your choice into consideration. Harry CHOSE Gryffindor, not the other way around (and so do I!).

So, itā€™s only natural that as we learn more about ourselves, we question our original choices. With age comes wisdom, right? :woman_mage:

2 Likes

Happy ADVANCED STUDIES FRIDAY all!

@MistressJennie and @PrincessP - your new proposals have been added to the project log! That yarn is soo pretty, Jennie, and I canā€™t wait to see that sampler, P!

@MistressJennie has also earned 100 points for her house for completing her Hygge throw! Awesome work! :tada:

Welcome to Team :snake: LOL

Iā€™m totally a Slytherin, no doubt about it. Ambitious, take charge, seeks knowledge. Judgmental. :laughing:

1 Like

OH, the shameā€¦ Iā€™ve been focusing on a comepletely different large project (wedding shawl) that I didnā€™t think I could suggest as a AS because it was already in progress when I joinedā€¦ Thereā€™s been no progress lately on my approved AS proposals. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Lol, same. I actually literally, not figuratively, just swore out loud as reading that post told me it was Friday. again. and I havenā€™t done mah stuffs.

Dayā€™s still youngā€¦ * raises knitting needle like a sword * TO THE YARN!

3 Likes

Advanced studies update: Iā€™ve got my 4 skeins of yarn rolled into balls, and have started my cardigan.

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy - Something inspired by upcoming trends
House: Slytherin :black_heart::snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Keto Pumpkin Bread - link to recipe
Brief Description: Tis the season for PUMPKIN SPICE EVERYTHING. I used the recipe linked by @PrincessP, since I really should be getting back on keto after the past month of cheating. I used pecans instead of pumpkin seeds, because itā€™s what I had on hand. I might drizzle a tiny bit of ethrytol water icing on this after it cools.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

:smiley: :smiley: I love that you made this! xx

1 Like

Itā€™s pretty good!! I just wish I had gone with my gut and put in extra pumpkin puree. It is a tiny bit dry, but whip cream helps. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m enjoying mine with cream cheese :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi everyone! The first HP swap sign ups are openā€¦ come and check it out :smiley: :lion: :snake: :eagle: :badger:

3 Likes