CLOSED - Nerd Games - Spring 2022

Welcome to the Nerd Games!

Runs April 1, 2022 - June 30, 2022

This is a craftalong where nerdy crafters all over the world can share our projects and give each other encouragement - that’s really all there is to it! If you feel you might be a nerd, or enjoy some nerdy things of any kind, or if you’re just nerdy about crafting, you’re more than welcome here!

HOW TO JOIN

Simply make any craft, take photos of it, and post them in this group with the following header, which will be explained below:

Prompt: (Write the name of the prompt you are entering your craft for here. Don’t forget to include the month!)
Team: (Choose one of three, listed below)
Project Name: (Name your craft anything you like; fanciful titles or simple labels/descriptions are all fine)
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points)
Brief Description: (Tell us anything you’d like to about the craft, such as how you made it, and why it fits the prompt.)
Project Photo(s): (Post photos of your awesome craft here, so we can ooh and aah over it!)

THE TEAMS

There are three teams to choose from, and no requirements for joining any of them; simply choose one that speaks to you, put the team name in your first project header, and presto - you’re a member! You will remain on the same team for the entire season. You may change teams in future seasons.

• Team Running with Scissors: :scissors: Maybe you like to craft with fabric or paper.
  • Team Knotty by Nature: :yarn: Maybe you like to knit, crochet, or macramé.
  • Team Bits and Bobs: :thread: Maybe you like working with various notions, or have varied crafting interests.

Either type in your team name, or use the emojis to indicate your team!

THE PROMPTS

Prompts will be posted on a monthly basis in the post below. Please choose a prompt. Monthly battles are the only time sensitive prompts. The non-battle prompts are open for the entire season. See THE POINTS section below for point values and several additional crafting opportunities for each of your crafts. You can craft specifically to fit the prompts, or you can craft first and then find a prompt to fit it into. We’re pretty lax about slightly stretched interpretations of the prompts; just explain in your description how it fits!

• Monthly prompts will close at 11:59pm Central Time on the last day of the current month.

BONUS POINTS

We are trying to keep things simple, so there will only be one type of bonus point available. COMMUNITY POINTS will be given when you post a link to a post you’ve made within the Lettuce Craft community, and will be worth 20 bonus points for each project shared. Please be sure to participate in the entire community and not just in the craftalong!

THE POINTS

This competition is just for fun and the points are for nothing more than motivation and bragging rights, but go ahead and rack up points by posting projects for you team! Points break down as follows:

• Monthly battles and prompts: 20 points each (must take at least 30 minutes of crafting time)
  • Free Range: 20 points each (must take at least 30 minutes of crafting time. Up to six allowed per season
  • Big Time projects: 50 points each (must take at least 5 hours of crafting time. Up to three allowed per season)
  • Zaps: 10 points each (any craft that takes less than 30 minutes to make. Up to five allowed per season)
  • Research Projects: 100 points (must take at least 20 hours of crafting time. Up to two per season)
  • Bonus Points: COMMUNITY bonus points (worth 20 extra per project) are the only bonus opportunity available at this time.

Special Note:
All prompts are supposed to be crafted within the current season. However, we have decided to make an exception to this rule. Let’s say you craft something for a swap near the end of the Summer season. You’ve sent the swap package, but it hasn’t been received yet. Fall season begins, your partner has received their swap item, and you are ready to post. You may go ahead and post your project from the previous season for the current season.

THE RULES

• Players must craft to the best of their abilities and have a minimum of 30 minutes of crafting time per submission, unless otherwise noted.
  • A project can only be submitted for one prompt or crafting opportunity.
  • A project does NOT have to be "nerdy,” it only has to fulfill the prompt as you see fit.
  • Submitted projects must be started and completed during the current season, unless otherwise noted.
  • There is SO MUCH to do in the Nerd Games. Do not feel like you have to craft everything. Do what inspires you.
  • We welcome all players from the Nerdyverse, no matter their Geekdom. We even welcome non-nerds!
  • We are never mean.
  • We never exclude someone.
  • We will keep it clean-ish (PG-13).
  • Never hesitate in contacting the Gamemakers (@storerboughtcreation or @Smeddley) with your questions, concerns, or ideas.

Previous Seasons:

Winter 2022
Fall 2021
Summer 2021
Spring 2021
Winter 2021
Fall 2020
Summer 2020
Spring 2020
Winter 2020

4 Likes

# PROMPT PALACE

Please post your projects with the following header:

Prompt: (Write the name of the prompt you are entering your craft for here. Don’t forget to include the month!)
Team: (Choose one of three, listed below)*
Project Name: (Name your craft anything you like; fanciful titles or simple labels/descriptions are all fine)*
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points)*
Brief Description: (Tell us anything you’d like to about the craft, such as how you made it, and why it fits the prompt .)**
Project Photo(s): (Post photos of your awesome craft here, so we can ooh and aah over it!)*

Battle Royale Prompt

Choose a side and craft a project to represent your choice. Must be completed within the month of issue, by 11:59 om, Central US time, on the last day of the month. Players may only submit one project per month/Battle. Battle Royale prompts are worth 20 points each and are eligible for all available Bonus Point opportunities.

• April Battle - Fool vs King - CLOSED
  • May Battle - Forwards vs Backwards - CLOSED
  • June Battle - Classic Novels vs Their Adaptations

Challenge Prompts

April Theme - This month is brought to you by National Talk Like Shakespeare Day (April 23rd) and my love of the book Fool, a retelling of King Lear from the fool’s perspective. But for propriety’s sake I will stick with Shakespearian lines…

• “And look upon myself and curse my fate” - craft something that has frustrated you, or is meant to frustrate someone else, or represents a frustrating character/saying/element.
  • “A rose by any other name…” - craft something that has flowers, or is red, or smells lovely.
  • “All that glitters is not gold” - craft something that is glittery or gold.
  • “Though she be but little, she is fierce” - craft something small or fierce.
  • “Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and caldron bubble. Cool it with a baboon’s blood, Then the charm is firm and good” - craft something that requires heat or fire, has bubbles, or is charming. (This is @storerboughtcreation’s favorite Shakespearean quote and if you wish her a happy birthday on April 28th you can possible get bonus points? If our illustrious leader can’t dole out a few bonus points, what’s the point of that power?)

May theme - Palindromes!

• Taco Cat - Craft something with a lot of layers, or cat-like, or that is beige.
  • Step Not on Pets - craft something to be used while walking/moving, or something for (or depicting) a pet.
  • Never odd or even - craft something that has multiple parts, or uses multiple crafting techniques.
  • Borrow or Rob - craft something that “borrows” or “robs” supplies from a different craft’s stash, or make something for others to borrow or that you’re giving away.
  • Stressed Desserts - craft something that brings you comfort, or something that is sweet.

June theme - Updates! Upcycling? Reworking! Everything old is new again? Or perhaps everything great is made worse, depending on how you look at it!

• Graphic Novel Adaptation - Craft something that is colorful, has no/few words, or is smaller (shorter) that the original. Or something inspired by your favorite graphic novel (and tell us about it!).
  • Movie Adaptation - Craft something that has moving parts, sounds, or incorporates the color silver (screen!). Or something inspired by your favorite movie (and tell us about it!).
  • Podcast Adaptation - Craft something that is black and white, has/is radio themed, or is a new fad/craze. Or something inspired by your favorite podcast (and tell us about it!).
  • Retelling - Craft something where you’ve changed up an existing pattern, or is a different take on an old craft, or combines two crafts together. Or something inspired by your favorite retelling (and tell us about it!).
  • Cliff’s Notes - Craft something super simple, that is made all in one piece, or is made to help someone get something done quickly or easily.
4 Likes

Team Roster and Tracking

1 Like

Omg. You are too funny and so sweet :hearts:

3 Likes

Oooooh, do I get to be first?! XD

Prompt: April - Double, double toil and trouble
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Luvdisc ATC
Project Link: Gotta catch 'em all! Pokémon ATCs - #39 by roler
Brief Description: This has bubbles, AND it required heat to apply them (woohoo getting an off-brand bedazzler as an adult, A++ CAN RECOMMMEND)! Also I hope it is charming! :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - A rose by any other name
Project Name: Flower bookmark
Project Link: Easter egg swap goodies
Brief Description: Flower bookmark! Is flowers! XD
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Though she be but little, she is fierce
Project Name: Chick magnet
Project Link: Easter egg swap goodies
Brief Description: A little and fierce chick!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - All that glitters is not gold
Project Name: Spoink Hop
Project Link: Spoink Hoop
Brief Description: Spoink has a glittery pearl on its head, and I used a little bit of white felt to represent the highlight!
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: April - And look upon myself and curse my fate
Project Name: Covid ATC
Project Link: TBA
Brief Description: This ATC is made of part of one of three (3) empty tissue boxes lying by my couch from my horrid two-week bout of COVID. It’s so awful even after two vaccines and a booster; please keep being careful out there, folks! I have definitely been cursing my fate!
Project Photo(s):

I’ve hardly crafted anything in the last two weeks because I’ve had NO energy, but hopefully I can get back into the groove soon! I’m not quite well but definitely improving!

7 Likes

Prompt: April - Battle - King
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: gnome wizard
Project Link:
Brief Description: wizards are usually depicted as wise, so fool wouldn’t make much sense for this battle prompt :blush:

He may or may not have something to do with the summer season. :zipper_mouth_face: :shushing_face:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

I should get a bedazzler. And then we can have a competition to see who can bedazzle the heck out of a project the most! :laughing:

Your Easter swap projects are all so fun and cute! Spoink is freaking adorable. That tail! The snout and pink cheeks! Even though you can’t see it, I feel like Spoink is grinning like a fool. Though it has a dark entry description, it is now one of my favorites :hearts:

I love that you crafted something to commemorate getting COVID during these crazy times. It is something you can whip out in 10-20 years to show young kids a bit of history.

2 Likes

Look at me not piling up projects this season!
Prompt: “Though she be but little, she is fierce” (April)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: ATCoin monsters
Project Link: ATCoin Monsters from Under-Papers
Brief Description: ATCoins are small (2.5-inch diameter).
Project Photo(s):
https://lettucecraft-discourse-backup.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/uploads/db2588/original/3X/7/e/7e8b160470ec9f1ff66f10d96109248615fcf4b4.jpeg

2 Likes

Sorry I haven’t posted on here yet. Almost all of my crafts have been in swaps, but now I can finally post some!

Prompt: Rose - April
Team: Running w Scissors
Project Name: Star Wars Inchie Dice
Project Link: Inchie Dice Gravity Falls, Star Wars, & D&D
Brief Description: This dice has one single red helmet among the troopers.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Glitter not Gold - April
Project Name: Gravity Falls Inchie Dice
Brief Description: This Inchie Dice has Gold!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Small & Fierce - April
Project Name: D&D glowing Inchie Dice
Brief Description: Dice are small and these dice have lots of bones, swords, and other D&D weapons on them. They also glow in the dark, which make them fierce in my opinion! Ha!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Battle - April - KING
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Family Trio Embroidery Hoops
Project Link: Family Trio Embroidery Hoops
*Brief Description: The last name was King for this lady. :heart:
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: April Battle - King
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: King Trumpet Alfredo Pasta
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: We got some king trumpet mushrooms from our CSA. I made an alfredo pasta with them. Turned out delicious!

Project Photo(s):

king trumpet mushrooms - Copy

Prompt: April - “And look upon myself and curse my fate”
Project Name: Minis
Brief Description: I bought one of those mini kits online. It is so incredibly intricate, and is taking me forever! Fun, though, also often frustrating

.Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - “A rose by any other name…”
Brief Description: More minis. It’s going to be a cute little cat house.

.Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - “Though she be but little, she is fierce”
Brief Description: More minis.

.Project Photo(s):

mini1 - Copy

Prompt: April - “Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and caldron bubble. Cool it with a baboon’s blood, Then the charm is firm and good”
Project Name: Banana Bread
Brief Description: We got some bananas with our CSA that went brown really fast, so I made some A+ banana bread.

.Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Junk Journal
Project Link: Junk Journal
Brief Description: I wanted to get back into making junk journals after quite a hiatus. I tried a bunch of new things this time around and worked with new supplies and techniques. I probably spent about 40 hours on it over the past few weeks. I decided to call it done so I could start on the next one.

.Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

I cannot wait to see that cat house! And I agree, miniatures are frustrating. Glad you can find the fun in it though, I never could. I think they look cool, but have zero enjoyment creating them. Ha! Why didn’t you make a post for your junk journal? It’s great! You should show the whole site!

2 Likes

Prompt: Double Double - April
Team: running with Scissors
Project Name: Star Girl recreation
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points) *
Brief Description: I created this for the Craft this in your Style craft-a-long. I think the circles on the sleeves look like bubbles!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

@gozer Okay, you got me, I made a post for it. :smiley: Thanks for the push!

2 Likes

Prompt: April - And look upon myself and curse my fate
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Dinosaur Mosaic
Project Link: Like, rawr and stuff! 🦖
Brief Description: I made this blanket as a pattern tester. The pattern released today, so I can finally share my photos :smiley: It was frustrating to have to wait to post. And also, dinosaurs had a cursed fate.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

@storerboughtcreation Um, I need this so hard! Oh my goodness!!! DInos!!! It’s absolutely amazing!!!

1 Like

@storerboughtcreation It turned out so great! Perfect color choices!

1 Like

Special thanks to you, @roler, and @Smeddley for color assistance! :hearts:

4 Likes

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @storerboughtcreation :birthday:
I hope you have the best year yet!

4 Likes