Magical Masterboard step-by-step tutorial

Using only paint and stamps, easy peasy! Anybody can do this!

I spent no more than 5 minutes hastily slapping some water colour paint onto these 3 pieces of paper. Looks like a 4 year old did it, ha!

The following 4 images show step-by-step applications of sloppy, random, speedy, thoughtless 1. scribbles, writing, and lines 2. stamps 3. black paint sponged over stencils 4. white paint sponged over stencils. (click each pic for a larger image)

Then I lined them up inside this high tech box and used a toothbrush to splatter on watered down paint. I tidied up the stencils, stamps etc between layers of gold, silver, black, white, yellow and red paint to give each colour a little time to at least partially dry before adding the next. Then I left them overnight to totally dry but you could use a heat gun or hair dryer to speed things up.

They were still butt ugly at this point so I dotted & drew small circles with black & white markers, then stamped black and white paint all over using the end of a pencil eraser, an empty paper towel tube, and a membership card to make the random cross-hatched lines.

Still pretty ugly but here comes the magical part! Trust me here, turn them face down and draw random cutting lines on the back. I sliced them up into squares and strips. Don’t be tempted to peek! When you’ve cut them up and you turn them over, this is what you get:

***if they aren’t flat, you can carefully press them with a dry iron on low, just cover the paint with a sheet of plain paper so it doesn’t melt or burn.

I cut them even smaller into hearts.

This size and tinier, until all I was left with was shred.

These 2 4X6 pieces were made with strips & scraps

This rectangle was turned into a 4X6 with a sentiment & a frame.

Adding a list of things made out of masterboards, often using just the tiniest scraps.
Birthday card
ATCs
Magpie ATCs
Those all came in swaps too!
More ATCs
Quick & dirty last minute Valentines
Tea time cards.
Lacey mushroom ATC
Succulents ATCs
Adorable animals ATCs
Steampunk owl etc metallic ATCs
Gumballs, pirate unicorns, & more! ATCs
3 little foxes ATCs
And finally, an entire swap package made from masterboards

34 Likes

I think what you have said is to trust the process…wow…magic…so many layers…each cut piece is a little work of art…I swear the transformation happens in the splatter box…

2 Likes

Thanks @Magpie! It’s such a great lesson to just keep going with it and trust the process - I feel inspired to do this. They look wonderful!

2 Likes

Love the pics and the info.

You’re right, midway I stop and say “What am I doing??!!”

2 Likes

I love these!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Masterboards are magic, every time!

3 Likes

Absolutely stunning!! Yeah, the transformation here is amazing. “Just do the things and cut apart” sounds sketchy at best, but worked out beautifully!

3 Likes

It turns out fabulous every single time! I am always, without fail, surprised at the end.
Every piece I’ve received in swaps has been terrific too. Anybody, everybody who tries it makes something awesome!

4 Likes

I surprise myself with how many of my least favorite masterboards become some of my favorite ATCs and/or other art. It’s amazing! Plus the process is so therapeutic.

2 Likes

It really does seem magical! The cutting it up reminds me of when I was a decorative painting contractor and maybe doing layer and layers on a client’s walls and they would seem a little skeptical, but then when I pulled the masking tape… WOW!

3 Likes

Some of this came to me :smiley: I’ve been wanting to try a master board but had no idea how until now. Thanks for the tut!

2 Likes

This is an excellent tutorial, and I love the end results

2 Likes

What a transformation! And completely messy/random! :laughing:

2 Likes

My table was a mess, that’s for sure!
I do find it very liberating & therapeutic, and encouraging when the end result comes out so nice. And you can use anything as a base, any paint, markers, stamps. Lots of people glue stuff on for texture but I wanted to use basic supplies this time & it turned out a favourite. I’m working on a monochrome set now, it’s challenging!

2 Likes

This makes me want to try masterboards again. I love the look of them and you had some great ideas to give interest. Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Ooo…yes. I love monochrome, but totally agree, really makes you re-think your go-to methods!

2 Likes

:heart_eyes: I love these! Thank you for the detailed pictures/tutorial!

2 Likes

I’m always fascinated by masterboards! Yours are tops!

1 Like

I think it is great that two masterboard makers, @Reinikka and @Magpie, swap masterboards… :laughing:

We are lucky to benefit from their sharing tutorials as well!

3 Likes

Each one is so unique that it just makes sense to share :heart: Plus I know @Magpie will always use anything I send to the fullest degree possible! Or pass it on to someone else to enjoy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

She is the master of using all the pieces…did you see what she did with the fruits and veggie fabrics I sent her…I was amazed! EVERY scrap used!!!

3 Likes