CLOSED - Nerd Games - Winter 2024

Prompt: The Peacock
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Peacock ATC
Project Link: Peacock ATC
Brief Description: Peacocks seem ostentatious… plus the subject of the card matches the title of the prompt, lol.
Project Photo(s):

e3c1415c8dddda4eb0ca0d0c8336f796bc75ac63_2_375x500

Prompt: The Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing
Project Name: Care Package for friend
Project Link: Care Package for Friend
Brief Description: I decorated an old Amazon box to hide the Amazon branding and to make the box pretty for a friend. Also, the box itself hides the contents inside.
Project Photo(s):

Care package 1

Care package 2

Care package 3

4 Likes

@LindyBlues thanks! I enjoy making jewelry and the costume was really fun to wear!

Cool idea to cover a box that way.

The peacock! Wow! Gorgeous!

2 Likes

Prompt: Beauty and the Beast
Project Name: “Graffiti” ATC
Project Link: "Graffiti" Spider-Man ATC
Brief Description: This card is mostly red.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Frozen
Project Name: “Pick 3” ATC
Project Link: "Pick 3" ATC for newly-ish discovered dinosaur
Brief Description: The background on this ATC is blue.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Throw salt over your shoulder
Project Name: Grandma’s Brazilian Snack (Pão de queijo—Brazilian Cheese Bread Balls)
Project Link: Pão de Queijo (Brazilian cheese bread balls)—Grandma's recipe
Brief Description: These make a mess while you’re making them, are made up of many smaller pieces because you make the small balls from the bigger one that you create when mixing the dough, it’s round, and it’s almost white. I almost hit all the options on the prompt there, lol.
Project Photo(s):

pao de queijo

3 Likes

Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Freezer Mashed potatoes
Project Link: Freezer mashed potatoes
Brief Description: Helping my future self
Project Photo(s):

mashed potatoes

Prompt: Free range 2
Project Name: Red lentil soup
Project Link: Red Lentil Soup
Brief Description: This is the only meal I make that every member of the family will eat without modifications (except putting in some frozen peas or corn so it cools down and they can eat it sooner)
Project Photo(s):

Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of the broth going in and of the final product, so here’s a process photo:

SOUP

2 Likes

Prompt: Zap 1
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Plant milestone marker 7
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: Still at it commemorating not killing my spider plant.
Project Photo(s): Lefthand marker in photo below

Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Plant milestone marker 8
Brief Description: Uh, ditto, I guess?
Project Photo(s): Righthand marker in previous photo.

Prompt: Zap 3
Project Name: Plant milestone marker 9
Brief Description: This month I was running late on getting my photo and couldn’t be fussed to get out the stamps :laughing: :woman_shrugging:t2:
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: February – Beauty & the Beast
Team: Running w Scissors
Project Name: Pig magnets
Project Link: Pigs and Penguins Magnets
Brief Description: Pigs can be quite beastly.
Project Photos(s):

Prompt: February - Frozen
Project Name: Penguin Magents
Project Link: Pigs and Penguins Magnets
Brief Description: Penguins live in the cold, and these have blue backgrounds.
Project Photos(s):

Prompt: February – Frog Princess
Project Name: Dragon Magnet
Project Link: Paintbrush, hedgehog, a dragon, and Books Magnets
Brief Description: The dragon is green.
Project Photos(s):

Prompt: March - Luck*
Project Name: Easter Gnome
Project Link: NA
Brief Description: I painted this hoppy little gnome with my Mom and her friend. Mine is the one in the front.
Project Photos(s):

Prompt: March Throw Salt
Project Name: Tipsy’s Monster Mat
Project Link: Halloween Monster Pet Mat
Brief Description: All the little pieces of each fabric.
Project Photos(s):

Prompt: March – Don’t walk under Ladders
Project Name: Monster Tote Bag
Project Link: Friendly Monster Tote Bag
Brief Description: It’s brightly colored (I love that brick fabric!) and took many steps to complete.
Project Photos(s):

Prompt: March – Knock on Wood
Project Name: Stacked Books Magnet
Brief Description: The base is made of wood.
Project Photos(s):

Prompt: March – Broken Mirror
Project Name: Paintbrush Magnet
Brief Description: There is silver paint on these paintbrushes.
Project Photos(s):

Prompt: March – Lucky Penny
Project Name: Perci Jackson Book magnets
Brief Description: These little guys were tiny! And the magnets on the back were circular.
Project Photos(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Don’t Walk Under a Ladder (March)
Project Name: Lose the Fear trio
Project Link: Lose the Fear ATC Trio
Brief Description: This is brightly painted. Well, painted, and colored with alcohol markers.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Big Time #1
Project Name: Rainbow Monsters – Warm Tones
Project Link: Rainbow Monsters
Brief Description:** This is for the Red, Orange, and Yellow monsters. Each of these little guys took me at least 2 hours. More around the 3+ mark.
Project Photo(s): See Image Below

Prompt: Big Time #2
Project Name: Rainbow Monsters – Cool Tones
Project Link: Rainbow Monsters
Brief Description:** This is for the Green, Blue, & Purple monsters. Each of these little guys took me at least 2 hours. More around the 3+ mark.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time #3
Project Name: Monster Zine
Project Link: Monster Coloring Zine & Feltie
Brief Description:** It took a while to draw all these monsters. I had about 8, maybe 10 pictures. I need to go back and check.
Project Photo(s): See Image Below

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: Prize Monster
Project Link: Monster Coloring Zine & Feltie
Brief Description:** I made this little guy for a Monster Jam prize.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

@gozer that little monster is just too cute! It looks absolutely ready for a hug! And I love the happy face on that monster on the zine cover. What a great idea to create something that people can create more with! And the rainbow monsters!!! They are just so cute! It’s hard to pick a favourite, but I really love that little yellow one and the “piggie tails” on the purple one :heart:

Those little book magnets are amazing! I saw something similar to these years ago when I was travelling, but instead of magnets, they were ornaments hanging on a mini-tree at a library. I’ve thought since then that I might want to try making something similar, but never got around to it. Your post has re-inspired me :heart:

The painted magnets are really cool too, and I love the details you added to the paintbrushes both the brushes themselves but also the background. Beautiful!

That book bag with the monster and bird friend… I am in love :heart: I especially love that the monster looks like it’s being so gentle with the bird.

I love the expressions on the penguins and piggies on your magnets. They all make me smile when I look at them :blush:

@megwell, I love the sentiment on that ATC trio, and the brightness of the shapes in the background.

I love the idea of marking your plants’ stages, and "not killing [the] plant sounds like something I’d commemorate also, lol

2 Likes

Prompt: March Battle - Luck
Project Name: Custom T-shirt
Project Link:
Brief Description: My partner wanted this shirt specifically (it’s from a comic book). I made it as a present with my somewhat recently assembled sublimation set-up. Sublimation kind of sucks - it’s finicky as heck and my press has been having inconsistent heat distribution, which quickly ruins projects. You need luck on your side for things to turn out well, or at least I do! I had one shot to make it work with the one white shirt I had, but it turned out great! LUCK! I had to find the image, fix it (upscale, remove background, tune the color), mirror print it, and then heat press it.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Knock on Wood
Project Name: Blythe poncho
Project Link:
Brief Description: The pattern on the fleece was perfect for a poncho. It has a small snap closure in the back. I’d call the lines wavy of a sort, and the base color is light brown.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Throw Salt over your Shoulder
Project Name: Naan
Brief Description: I made naan to go along with some brown butter chicken. It was okay for my first attempt. It’s white-ish and round-ish, and I made a bit of a mess while making it.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Don’t Walk Under a Ladder
Project Name: Mini Pinata
Project Link: Mini Piñatas with Tutorial
Brief Description: My partner loves sour candy so I made a birthday surprise mini pinata filled with it! I randomly said, “Name a shape” and rhombus was the answer, so hence, a rhombus mini pinata. :smiley:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - A Broken Mirror is Bad Luck
Project Name:
Project Link: Baby card
Brief Description: A close friend/colleague had a baby and our little group had a sprinkle at one of our meetings. I made the card and challenged myself to ONLY USE WHAT I HAD in my stash. The bear is a little treat bag holder, and the star is one of those wooden shapes that I painted and filled with Glossy Accents (shiny). We weren’t all going to be in one place to sign the card, so I had everyone send me a photo of their message written on white paper, edited the photos, and organized and printed them on the card liner paper. It was cute.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Lucky Penny
Project Name: Sausage Rolls
Project Link:
Brief Description: We kept seeing YouTube videos where they were mentioning Greggs sausage rolls, and boy oh boy did it spark a craving. I didn’t have the ingredients to make a proper sausage roll, but I concocted something that hit the spot close enough. Still super delicious and I have plans to make them correctly soon. They are roundish, and the sausage (and maybe carrots?) are copper-y in color.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Yarn Tree
Project Link:
Brief Description: OMG. This project was dreadful. For years I saw this yarn tree kit at the craft store and thought it was so cute. I finally got it with a 50% off coupon thinking it would be a fun afternoon project. I’m certain it was just me being unbearably particular, but this thing took forever. (Trying to get the yarn in smooth layers and flat over the rubber tips, and visually pleasingly wrapped around the trunk and branches, all while hiding yarn ends EVERYWHERE and not wanting them to peak out at all.) I ended up working on it over about a week and estimate (at least :melting_face:) eight hours. I kept being mad and wanting to quit, but finished it anyway. It’s not even as cute as I thought it would be, lol! I’m annoyed again just typing all of that out and remembering. I think I’ll end up using it with with my Blythe dolls somehow. It’s about 18" tall.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: German Chocolate Cake from Scratch
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made a German cholocate cake for my partner’s bday again this year. All from scratch, even the chocolate frosting. It was a great dessert for the few days it lasted. :smiley:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Nachos
Project Link:
Brief Description: These probably aren’t really zaps, but it feels weird to claim them as anything else! :rofl: I made two BIG trays of nachos and they were a hit.

Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Don’t forget about the pins this season! And the gift card drawing for showing off your Nerd Games pin collection!

2 Likes

Prompt: Free Range 4
Project Name: Spider-Man Envelopes
Project Link: Wall Calendar Envelopes
Brief Description: More envelopes from calendar pages
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 5
Project Name: Hello Kitty Envelopes
Brief Description: Even more calendar page envelopes
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March Battle: Luck
Project Name: Friends Envelopes
Brief Description: Those who have friends who will “be there for you when life’s a joke, you’re broke, you’re love’s life D.O.A…” are very lucky indeed.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Hercules
Project Name: Doll bracelet
Project Link: Experimenting with oven-bake clay: doll accessories and a funky ring
Brief Description: Making the beads for this bracelet required Herculean strength from my arthritic hands. Which is why it became a doll bracelet instead of a human one…
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Lucky Penny
Project Name: Doll headband, bracelet, and ring
Project Link: Experimenting with oven-bake clay: doll accessories and a funky ring
Brief Description: I made these with oven-bake clay from the Dollar Tree. So it was cost-effective (but not time-effective) to make.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 3
Project Name: Playtime ring and friendship bracelet
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made the playtime snake ring out of oven-bake clay. The friendship bracelet took me forever to make because I honestly can’t braid anything. So it’s a very lonesome bracelet with no friend, lol
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Don’t Walk Under a Ladder
Project Name: Cinnamon Rolls from Scratch
Project Link:
Brief Description: These required several steps to complete: Mix the dry ingredients, melt butter with milk on the stove, mix the sugar and cinnamon, spread the butter, sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon, roll, cut… and so on and so on
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Luck (March Battle)
Project Name: Courage/Stupidity ATC trio
Brief Description: I may or may not have dropped the gold paintbrush on the project, causing marks I was forced to replicate so it looked intentional :shushing_face:. But it turned out to be just what the project needed, so what seemed like misfortune ended up being luck.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

I have not been crafting much, other than compulsively knitting dishcloths to deal with the grief of losing our dog. I started before she was gone, and we were on end-stage hospice, and didn’t stop until now - we got a dog yesterday and things are rocky at best. I don’t think waiting longer would have made a difference, it’s just a huge leap from a gentle, sweet, old dog to a crazy younger dog. It may or may not work out, only time will tell. But for now, I present a portion of my insane dishcloth knitting, I couldn’t even fit them all into prompts, and some day I’ll finish off (weaving in ends) of the others I’ve made!

Prompt: March Battle - Luck
Project Name: Unicorn Blood Drop
Brief Description: Another blood drop squeezie, and what’s more lucky than a rainbow unicorn?!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - The Astrologer
Project Name: Moss Stitch Ecru Dishcloth
Brief Description: I’ve been knitting a LOT of dishcloths lately, and giving them away for people to use! This one got pressed into service immediately!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - The Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing
Project Name: Moss Stitch White Dishcloth
Brief Description: It’s white!
Project Photo(s): (See Photo Above)

Prompt: January – Two Pots
Project Name: Hey, look, a dishcloth
Brief Description: It’s brown!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January – The Peacock
Project Name: Jayhawk Blood Drop Squeezie
Brief Description: Very jewel toned blue and red!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Frozen
Project Name: Blue Stripes Dishcloth
Brief Description: Hey, look, a blue dishcloth!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February – Beauty and the Beast
Project Name: Jayhawk Blood Drop 2
Brief Description: When my friend saw the Jayhawk I’d made for someone else, she needed one too! And it’s mostly red…
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February – Frog Prince
Project Name: Sprinkles Dishcloth
Brief Description: It has little spots!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February – The Little Mermaid
Project Name: Half Blue Diagonal Dishcloth
Brief Description: Dishcloths use water!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Another Dishcloth
Brief Description: What can I say? It’s a dishcloth
Project Photo(s): (see above)

Prompt: February - Hercules
Project Name: White Dishcloth
Brief Description: It’s white! Getting tired of Dishcloths yet?
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 2-6
Project Name: It’s Dishcloths. Just more Dishcloths
Brief Description: I really couldn’t stop knitting them
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

February and March haven’t been very gentle here. The household had a light Covid case and I got a maybe Covid maybe some other winter illness like flu or just a nasty cold that left me tired for a while later. Then, when I finally got over that, got a pinched nerve or muscle in my neck two weeks ago and could barely move my head, so not much crafting or posting happened.
This is the stuff I managed to do before that and am now posting.

Prompt: February - Beauty and the Beast
Project Name: Mushroom Hat
Project Link: Mushroom Hat
Brief Description:
I made this mushroom hat for my daughter to wear to a mushroom gathering birthday party, and also, just because why not :smiley:
It is red and beastly big (I keep knocking into doorways if I wear it).
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Lucky Penny
Project Name: Chicken Cocktail Balls
Project Link: Chicken Cocktail Balls
Brief Description:
Found the recipe in one of our many cookbooks. These balls are round, and are cost effective as they use leftover chicken as the main ingredient.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Throw salt over your shoulder
Project Name: Rice and Cheese Balls
Project Link: Rice and cheese balls
Brief Description:
Another recipe from our cookbooks. This makes a mess, cutting up stuff and frying. There are many pieces involved (not counting the individual rice grains) and the rice and cheese are white.
Very yummy/
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Hercules
Project Name: Salmon and Broccoli Pasta
Project Link: Salmon and Broccoli Pasta
Brief Description:
A dish inspired by the frozen salmon cubes that I found at the supermarket. My daughter loves the ingredients of this dish, however my husband and broccoli do not get along. Since I love both of them, we try to make this dish only when my husband isn’t at home, as the smell of cooking broccoli bothers him.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Pringles earrings
Project Link: Pringles Earrings
Brief Description:
A quick little project for my kid. She gets a lot of compliments on her original earrings, and all it takes are some jump rings and pliers.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: January- Frozen
Project Name: Northern Lights painting
Project Link:
Brief Description: This painting has a lot of blue.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March - Broken Mirror
Project Name: Read In Peace Bookmark
Project Link:
Brief Description: This bookmark features silver, glittery paper.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: March- Lucky Penny
Project Name: Autumn bookmark
Project Link:
Brief Description: This bookmark features copper gel pen on the leaves, round polka dots on the back, and since everything was from stash, it was cost effective as well.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #5
Project Name: Cherry Blossom bookmark
Project Link:
Brief Description: I painted this for the bookmark swap. My partner has not received it yet.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #6
Project Name: Ice Cream bookmark
Project Link:
Brief Description: I used alcohol markers on this, for the bookmark swap. My partner has not received it yet.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #1
Project Name: Vibrant cross stitch
Project Link: Vibrant cross stitch
Brief Description: Not really a zap, but it was all I had left! I had to get that last fiber and textiles post in here. :slight_smile:

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

@ Gozer- the gnome is sooo adorable! I have a soft spot for gnomes.

@LindyBlues I’m definitely going to make those cheese buns! Yummmm!

@Smeddley wow! That’s a lot of dish cloths!!! I’m sorry for your loss. It’s hard to lose those furry friends.

@LovelyMiss NACHOOOOOOOS!!! Dang, those look so tasty!

@craftADDchick you must be the coolest teacher at your school. Your black light event has to be a huge hit!

@Tanath that little pig is really adorable!!

@AudiobookLover I love that hoodie! One more reason to take up quilting!!

@Smeddley I’ve missed your blood drops. They are always so cute and inventive!

@LindyBlues one slice at a time…… very good reminder!

5 Likes

Starting to add my pins to the awesome banner @AudiobookLover made for me!!!

9 Likes

Oh man! I crashed hard this season! My vertigo ramped up hard last month, then after a 4 day trip to Nature’s Classroom with my students, I ended the month with COVID. I was clear by Easter, and thought I’d be able to post the project my brother had prepped for us to make yesterday. But, it proved to be more epic than anticipated. It’ll be so fun when it’s finally done, though!

2 Likes

I love this! My pins are currently sitting in a dish- I need to fix that soon.

1 Like